Electrickery question.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
sprintster

Electrickery question.

Post by sprintster »

Last year I fitted a new starter relay but it was just a £12 job off Ebay.Yesterday I went to take the bike out for the first time since February and I was only getting a click from the relay when I pressed the starter button.The battery was flat so I thought that was the problem.Fully charged tonight and still just getting a click from the relay.I started the bike by bridging the relay terminals with a screwdriver so does that mean it's definitely the relay that's the problem before I buy a genuine Triumph one for £40?
Magnon

Re: Electrickery question.

Post by Magnon »

Yep, proves it’s the solenoid but if it’s not too difficult to change I’d still go for the cheap jobbie or even try to fix the existing.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

It's easy enough to change,I just thought it was maybe a false economy buying a cheap one if my last one only managed 1 year.The original one was 12 years old.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I just ordered a 2nd hand Triumph one off a low mileage bike for £14.Hopefully that'll do the job.Thanks.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Check the earth side of the relay coil is good as it will not pull in fully but can still click,
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

i am a qualified electrical/electronics engineer and would always fit good quality relays, you get a lot of chap junk from China.

Return to “TECHNICAL”