Kawasaki super sherpa

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Hoggyf

Kawasaki super sherpa

Post by Hoggyf »

Just bought a Kawasaki KL 250 super Sherpa, a 98 model and although ts it's in not bad Nick it's a non runner as I think the spray clutch has gone, anyone got suggestions where t find one, I can find stuff for the 2000 onwards but not the older one so suggestions greatly received.
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
Yoyo

Re: Kawasaki super sherpa

Post by Yoyo »

I owned one for a while and it went to Mr Diver who also abused it a bit for parting it on, consumables I had easily enough but anything specific (rear grab handles) had to come from the states, easy enough to get them shipped here though.
mr_diver

Post by mr_diver »

You need to look for the micro fiches for the exact bike you have. They should list the part you need then order said part.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.

Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Hoggyf wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:40 pm Just bought a Kawasaki KL 250 super Sherpa, a 98 model and although ts it's in not bad Nick it's a non runner as I think the spray clutch has gone, anyone got suggestions where t find one, I can find stuff for the 2000 onwards but not the older one so suggestions greatly received.
This any good to you?
https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kl250d15 ... partslist/
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Unfortunately not as it's a klr which are totally different engine but thanks anyway, I've done some trawling and think I have the part numbers now so wait until after the bank holiday and hit the phone.
Thanks for the comments chaps
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Hoggyf wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:07 am Unfortunately not as it's a klr which are totally different engine but thanks anyway, I've done some trawling and think I have the part numbers now so wait until after the bank holiday and hit the phone.
Thanks for the comments chaps
I have one--my sprag clutch was a bit noisy so I've changed it. The starter system has a torque limiter unit in the drive train--I think to prevent damage if it backfires--I changed this but it was ok-so if you need one let me know. You say a non runner?--is the starter turning but not the engine?. Simply taking the top round cover off will give you access and you can remove the torque limiter gear set--watch the thrust washers at each end. You can just see about 1/4 of the next transfer gear and if the sprag is vaguely working you can rotate this one way, but not the other. The sprag clutch is like KTM etc with oval rollers and a fine retaining spring--which is what usually fails. In my case the spring was just a bit slack/knackered not allowing the rollers to disengage once the engine had fired--straight away. Unfortunately the generator has to come off as it sits inside of this. You'll need a new gasket to be safe--and the Correct PITCH of threaded bolt to get the flywheel off (its a fine M10 or 12)--screw in and tap as usual. I got my sprag and some other bits from Corby Kawasaki--that way you don't pay much postage or import duty. Get a manual on CD(from fleabay)--and also check the excellent fiche on the Dutch CMS website www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kl250g4-super-sh ... ml#results ---the engine has not changed over all the years as far as I can tell. I have obtained parts from the US--cheap, but duty is high. I also have parts posted from japan. There is a good thread on ADV which is very active. Pannier rails etc from the Ukraine ! (bike is popular over there)--and the model was sold as the stockman in OZ--its a great workhorse. Other parts are readily available from fleabay--I replaced my clutch plates and springs--and you can get HD springs if you need them.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

The starter runs fine and "catches" the sprag until it gets up to compression then won't turn the engine, had the covers off and the sprag runs freely both ways so it's pretty much shot I think. I've found some parts lists and the sprag clutch seems the same on all yrs and also is used on a kz1000 apparently, I'll try Corby tomorrow amd see how much it is, the prices vary massively on eBay from around the world, sometimes £200 amd some times £29????
@catcitrus Interested in your suggestions about the carbon bash plate, the standard one looks a little flimsy! See pm
Then:
Now:
mr_diver

Post by mr_diver »

I've just realised three of us talking here have owned the same super sherpa. Reg ###SUH?

The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

mr_diver wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:47 pm I've just realised three of us talking here have owned the same super sherpa. Reg ###SUH?

yeah .... I used to get mixed up (SO unusual these days) .. as to who used to own that super duper Sherpa ..

so this is the answer ... BOTH of yas 8-) :lol:

Image160tt by gary boy, on Flickr

Return to “TECHNICAL”