Hagon Shock Absorbers..

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
flamair

Hagon Shock Absorbers..

Post by flamair »

Hi All

Has anyone any experience of Hagon shock absorbers? My Bandit 1250GT has now covered 45k and has (when in extreme heat) shown signs of a little oil leaking from the standard rear shock. I am unsure whether to have the original shock rebuilt at a cost of about £200-£250 if a new spring and piston rod is fitted, or if the Hagon replacement shock is the better option.

I regularly carry pillion and luggage, as well as riding solo without luggage, so am looking at the Hagon shock with remote rear preload as it's something I'm always having to tweak. Anyone on here fitted one and can report on it's performance (good or bad)?

Any thoughts most welcome.

TIA

Ian
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Old Git Ray

Re: Hagon Shock Absorbers..

Post by Old Git Ray »

They have been in the business for a very long time and you can pick up the phone and talk to them.
My only actual dealings with then were for Spokes for my Syuper Tenere in 2010.
They were unhappy about bending brittle stainless spokes for my particular bike (The S10 needs an 85 degree bend at the head) and warned me about it.
They were fair and honest.
een705

Post by een705 »

Good company to deal with had one on my Africa twin with remote preload found it a good all round shock
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I've used them before and they work fine. Mine developed an oil leak about 1 month before the 2 year warranty ran out but it was no problem to send it back at their cost and have it re-furbished.
BIG DON

Post by BIG DON »

I have just had a new Hagon shock for my old 89 Transalp, Now being bigger than the average bear they built one to suit my stature :lol:
It looks good and does the job and where very quick so no complaints from me.

BIG D
flamair

Post by flamair »

Thanks gentlemen very much for the information.

I think I will go for the Hagon replacement, though a leak after 23 months is a tad worrying. My original shock has now done about 10 years before stuttering!

I'll report back with my final decision in due course!
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

When my shock came back after being repaired it had a rubber bung on the piston which keeps it clean as the piston slides through it. I'm not sure if it had been missed out before.I probably did about 16k miles in that 2 years in all weather's.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

When I was replacing the very budget shock absorber on my CBF1000 I went for a nitron shock and are very satisfied.
If you carry full luggage/pillion frequently I would get one with a remote spring preload adjuster, it saves fiddling about with spanners.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I had a BMW Funduro for a while, the original shock blew not long after I bought it. OEM was ridiculous so I bought a Hagon, it was good but it blew a seal & well within the warranty period. Hagon were happy to warranty it, but anyone that's ever owned a Funduro knows the fun removing the shock can be without serious tools.

I was very disappointed with the product but not with the company, if that makes sense?
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Toe

Post by Toe »

Have dealt with a fair number of their shocks from a trade perspective. I'd see bikes with them come back year after year (ofter with little washing or care) and shocks leaking/failing/etc were very uncommon.
I'd say the shocks were a good OEM replacement with more adjustment than OEM, not an improved or upgrade aftermarket shock (like Ohlins or Nitron would be, for example).
Great company to deal with.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM

Return to “TECHNICAL”