Xt660z not starting

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Andysr6

Xt660z not starting

Post by Andysr6 »

Hi All, was on a weekend break in the highlands and on day 3 the bike wouldn’t start.
Battery is strong, smelt like fuel was getting in and plug was wet. New plug and cap fitted but made no difference. I’m thinking coil. Anyone experienced this?
scotsy

Re: Xt660z not starting

Post by scotsy »

Have you checked wether the lead will spark without the plug cap on?

Loose terminal on the low tension wire to the coil (check if the spade is tight on the coils terminal)

Bad earth where the coil mounts to the frame (take off and clean)

Kill switch problem (disconnect the 2 wires)

Sidestand switch (twist the 2 wires together)

Just a few thoughts

Good luck

Ian
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

Is the plug sparking ok when not inserted?
The collector blocks from the switch gear are located below the tank and are renowned for giving electrical issues.

Colin
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

Sometimes the wiring loom under the tank can rub through due to vibration and earth the fuel injection wire against the frame so the injector stays wide open delivering too much fuel. Easy fix with the tank off, cut all the cable ties, re tape the bare wire and but a piece of rubber between the cable and frame. Then re cable tie it but not as tightly as during assembly.
This happened to me recently on the way back from the elefant in Germany on the side of a motorway in the pissing down rain!
My Tena lady is now affectionately known as the “bastard”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.- Louis L'Amour
Biquad

Post by Biquad »

Andysr6 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:48 pm Hi All, was on a weekend break in the highlands and on day 3 the bike wouldn’t start.
Battery is strong, smelt like fuel was getting in and plug was wet. New plug and cap fitted but made no difference. I’m thinking coil. Anyone experienced this?
Had this happen a few times on mine, especially in snowy / slushy conditions. The water droplets driven off the radiator blow onto the HT cable and you loose the spark. If the engine has been hot then parked up outside ovewrnight you get condensation, again on the HT lead. I always carry a small can of WD40 and spray the offending area and hey presto back into life.

Hope this helps.
Steve
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Check out xt660 forum....loads of info there, it's where I look ;)
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Try cranking it over with throttle wide open. If mine stands in very cold weather for a few days it hates starting again.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

redbikejohn wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:45 pm Try cranking it over with throttle wide open. If mine stands in very cold weather for a few days it hates starting again.
Mine used to do that......now I turn on ignition and wait for fuel pump to prime.....Give it another 10 seconds and bingo, hope this helps.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Biquad wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 pm
Had this happen a few times on mine, especially in snowy / slushy conditions. The water droplets driven off the radiator blow onto the HT cable and you loose the spark. If the engine has been hot then parked up outside ovewrnight you get condensation, again on the HT lead. I always carry a small can of WD40 and spray the offending area and hey presto back into life.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Ahhh this takes me back. I had the 660 engine in an Aprilia Pegaso trail (so pretty much the same ;) ) when I worked up in the Peak District for a couple of years. I had no end of problems in drizzly, damp conditions and ended up carrying a can of WD40 with me and using it a lot.

It often would cut out while I was riding it :o I got used to hopping off the bike, spraying all over the front of the bike, giving it a few minutes then try again. I never got to the bottom of it but I did hear MT03's (same engine again) could suffer the same problem.

Despite that I loved the Pegaso and went all over the place on it until it started to fall to bits :(
Andysr6

Post by Andysr6 »

Got bike started today after a tip from fellow rider. Try the red key he said. So I tried both black keys and no joy. Tried the red key and bike starts instantly. Tried the black keys again and bike starts no problem each time.
Would still like to know what caused the problem.

Return to “TECHNICAL”