crf250x radiator fan question

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
kev.t

crf250x radiator fan question

Post by kev.t »

having recently bought a 2005 crf250x that is going to be coming to Bulgaria with me in September with BBS (Bulgaria bike shipping) I am going through it end to end to get it up to scratch.
forks and shock, wheels and bearings, mooses, chain and sprockets, clutch, valve train.... the whole shabbang is now fettled :D
anyway, I have bought a fan kit to fit that has adjustable display to set when (or what) temperature the fan kicks in at.
in degrees celcius what do you guys recommend I set it at please?

thanks in advance.

kev.
aliwakeskate

Re: crf250x radiator fan question

Post by aliwakeskate »

I fitted a stock fan kit to my exc last year. According to my temp display it kicks in at 80 degree C.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

good that its adjustable good feature that is

most fans ive come across kick in at 99 and red warnings at 115 .. i have trail tech guages on mine and i warmer weather they work normally between 80/90 fan coming on in town and in slow going at 99 ..think id plump for 90 ill stand corrected but ive found no problems at times hitting the low 100 s befor the fan drags it down to the low 90s .. i think under 90 in the summer it will be on permanant or close to it ..but see how your bike runs normal and the figure it from there ,,rad size and water pump ect ..id be tempted to set it maby 5 degrees above normal running ??

good question ...in the winter mine will stay under70 even on the motorway runs but run at 85/90 in the summer ..running in the low 100s is usually breif with the fan ...ive got a 105 in me head ...dont want to see it above that ...450 creats more heat or quicker heat than the 250 but when its hot they both hover around the same level
i think 90 will be well eonough as a bit of insurance for slow going
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

The following articles might be of interest to you, even if you are using different products;

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/10 ... tallation/

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xmymods.htm#coolingfan

Most engines seem best at about 95oC, You could always fit an override switch which you could manually use to switch the fan on prior to reaching that temperature if you thought that you were likely to get stuck on a long climb or similar.

TTFN

Hugh.
kev.t

Post by kev.t »

brilliant, thanks chaps.
like you say minky, bit of insurance for when the going gets slow/stuck/falling off a lot/tricky.

good links them hugh, again thanks :-)
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

kev.t wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:48 pm having recently bought a 2005 crf250x that is going to be coming to Bulgaria with me in September with BBS (Bulgaria bike shipping) I am going through it end to end to get it up to scratch.
forks and shock, wheels and bearings, mooses, chain and sprockets, clutch, valve train.... the whole shabbang is now fettled :D
anyway, I have bought a fan kit to fit that has adjustable display to set when (or what) temperature the fan kicks in at.

thanks in advance.

kev.
Where are you staying? If you still looking you can stay here. I am off to Turkey in June but should be well back by Sept. If you need a guide I am always up for a ride.
kev.t

Post by kev.t »

captinktm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 am
kev.t wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:48 pm having recently bought a 2005 crf250x that is going to be coming to Bulgaria with me in September with BBS (Bulgaria bike shipping) I am going through it end to end to get it up to scratch.

thanks in advance.

kev.
Where are you staying? If you still looking you can stay here. I am off to Turkey in June but should be well back by Sept. If you need a guide I am always up for a ride.
what a lovely offer, thanks.
it's a guided enduro hol we're doing with Bulgaria Bike Shipping, accommodation, guides, rescue etc etc all in.
I'm very excited and it's only Feb :twisted:
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

kev.t wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:09 am
captinktm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 am

thanks in advance.

kev.
what a lovely offer, thanks.
it's a guided enduro hol we're doing with Bulgaria Bike Shipping, accommodation, guides, rescue etc etc all in.
I'm very excited and it's only Feb :twisted:
Oh nay bother, that area is great I am sure you will enjoy it.

Return to “TECHNICAL”