Tough book?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
captinktm

Tough book?

Post by captinktm »

I have just bought a Panansonic tough book, it's secondhand, and has a GPS module fitted. Everything works and I intend to use it for live navigation like a GPS but obviously with a larger screen. I now need soft ware to use with it. So I am looking for a map down load that allows live gps use. It need to have a detailed world map and work with windows 7. A lot to ask but maybe someone as done this before.
Andi_Archer

Re: Tough book?

Post by Andi_Archer »

captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Andi_Archer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 pm Did you try Google off line maps https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... roid&hl=en
Its not the maps that are the problem it's getting the gps to work live with them.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Try wez off here or Daniel.. Also adv navigation thread.. Its huge but will have the answer
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Have you checked it’s enabled in windows?
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I've used a few tough books over the years, once upon a time they came with a baseball cap with a pouch to put the gps receiver in. A headache in more ways than one.

They're either GPS or sim card enabled, you can't have both so IT informed on last upgrade. From my experience the GPS would only work with dedicated 3rd party mapping software & huge licence fees. With a 4g sim card, you would have a tough as nails laptop with access to www.

I think you may struggle to find compatible freeware, especially worldwide :|
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

P4ulie wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:29 pm I've used a few tough books over the years, once upon a time they came with a baseball cap with a pouch to put the gps receiver in. A headache in more ways than one.

They're either GPS or sim card enabled, you can't have both so IT informed on last upgrade. From my experience the GPS would only work with dedicated 3rd party mapping software & huge licence fees. With a 4g sim card, you would have a tough as nails laptop with access to www.

I think you may struggle to find compatible freeware, especially worldwide :|

I am using Mapshpere at the momenet and that seems to have a gps inter phase and it even say it's linked with the gps but no luck yet on tracking live. I agree that with this gps module I think I will have to rig up some sort of remote antenna when in the Niva.
Thanks for your help
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

I am well coughed, and obviously now a puter ex spert. as said above I am using Mapsphere with my panasonic cf19 mk 5 and built in gps module. Well today I persevered and it's working scrolling the map and live tracking. The problem .........I think was that the program was trying to connect to the wrong com port. :D

Now all I have to do is get the sim card working!!! :evil:
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

What error code if any?
You can get a free to use sim with limited minutes and data plan from Freedom Pop just make sure to disable the pay options once the account is set up.
https://uk.freedompop.com/uk?experience=organic.default

Return to “TECHNICAL”