Beamish engine swap

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
diggermanbob

Beamish engine swap

Post by diggermanbob »

I know it's not a trail bike but it's going to be an interesting project , I'm taking the 325 Suzuki engine out of my beamish outfit and installing a BSA B44 Victor special which has just been totally rebuilt using all singing and dancing bits to use in pre 65 motocross , I will post a few pics as it goes on for those that are interested. :D
image.png
image.png (412.66 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
it should give it loads of grunt for climbing over rocks etc.
diggermanbob

Re: Beamish engine swap

Post by diggermanbob »

It's going in this baby
image.jpg
image.jpg (240.3 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
its only going to be used in trials ,
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Looks like a lot of fun. Set up for MX the B44 is likely to be pretty 'perky'. MX 'often' have fairly close ratio gears whereas trials gears are often widely spread. Often isn't always, so you will have to see how it performs, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun, with masses of torque. Rig up a proper oil filter on the return oil pipe. ( Feed is under gravity so don't put filter there). Please Note . It is perfectly normal for the oil to drain into the sump if the bike is stood for a while, clouds of smoke when it starts up , oil soon returns to tank, no need to panic. For trials use a smallish carb and milder cam might suit, but looks lovely , don't think I'm criticising, wish I had the energy for a project like it. Have worked on BSA Singles since 1972.......
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

That looks sweet Bob, good luck with build and keep us informed bud ;)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

steve the grease wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:50 pm Looks like a lot of fun. Set up for MX the B44 is likely to be pretty 'perky'. MX 'often' have fairly close ratio gears whereas trials gears are often widely spread. Often isn't always, so you will have to see how it performs, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun, with masses of torque. Rig up a proper oil filter on the return oil pipe. ( Feed is under gravity so don't put filter there). Please Note . It is perfectly normal for the oil to drain into the sump if the bike is stood for a while, clouds of smoke when it starts up , oil soon returns to tank, no need to panic. For trials use a smallish carb and milder cam might suit, but looks lovely , don't think I'm criticising, wish I had the energy for a project like it. Have worked on BSA Singles since 1972.......
Thanks Steve it's got the special gearbox which I believe is about right , to be honest it will spend most of its time in 1st gear , I have sorted a remote filter for the return line as you say , a couple of guys in the pre 65 club locally have these motors in there outfits so will be helpful , thanks for your input much appreciated , I will post some more as the build moves on ,
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

chunky butt wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:12 pm That looks sweet Bob, good luck with build and keep us informed bud ;)
Will do mate , it's a bit of nostalgia trip for me , I remember watching Jeff Smith riding a BSA back in the day , the bike should sound awesome , :D
cowling

Post by cowling »

Out of curiosity , what’s happening to the 325 lump.
Just I have a 250 beamish and wondered if the 325
Would slot in. ?

D31E01F0-B3C2-4A1F-B254-208CF963DBAA.jpeg
D31E01F0-B3C2-4A1F-B254-208CF963DBAA.jpeg (243.03 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

It's still in the bike at the moment , it will fit straight in your bike , your engine I believe is a 325 just has a sleeve in the barrel and different head gasket , all the info is on the beamish web site , I will let you know when I take it ut if you are interested.
cowling

Post by cowling »

One thing that concerns me it the exhaust exiting the cylinder at the opposite side of the down tube, so exhaust must also be required. But like u say, loads of info on the owners website.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

cowling wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 pm One thing that concerns me it the exhaust exiting the cylinder at the opposite side of the down tube, so exhaust must also be required. But like u say, loads of info on the owners website.
Well if I do get rid of the 325 engine it will be complete with exhaust and carb as none of it will be used on the 4stroke project ,

Return to “TECHNICAL”