sump guard soundproofing .?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tramp

sump guard soundproofing .?

Post by Tramp »

Okay i was out for a short ride on the ccm644 ..it survived lol anyway as it didnt have the sumpguard fitted I noticed how quite it was...

So I thought of using some of the closed cell camping matt foam between top of guard and underside of engine....

Will it melt or catch fire :lol: :o ..was just going to pock some mounting holes in it :P ....
zimtim

Re: sump guard soundproofing .?

Post by zimtim »

You could use the sleep mat but I would give it a covering with something like this just incase
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspo ... d-material

Besides I thought you had had enough of the yellow peril letting you down and were going to sell it and buy something you could trust to finish a trip :D
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

You don't want closed cell--open cell so that the microchambers are connected--but it will simply fill with mud anyway----if its aluminium then its like ringing a bell--plastic or a carbon composite will be a bit quieter--but any smooth surface will reflect sound waves. Personally, on an offroad bike , I think its a waste of time--and I make carbon bashplates!!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tramp wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:20 pm Okay i was out for a short ride on the ccm644 ..it survived lol anyway as it didnt have the sumpguard fitted I noticed how quite it was...

So I thought of using some of the closed cell camping matt foam between top of guard and underside of engine....

Will it melt or catch fire :lol: :o ..was just going to pock some mounting holes in it :P ....
I use this stuff:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SUMP-FOA ... xy0NtTFxGF

but I use it mainly for preventing mud build up between engine and bash plate. Makes the bike easier to clean each time. It just cuts to size, you re-use the same piece for years and it washes up perfectly. I'm not sure that it makes things any quieter though Russ. Might work well in combination with your camping foam idea.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cheers Guys.....ill try and see what happens....understand about the closed cell open cell stuff ...

Zimtim...I will have you know the ccm only broke because the auot camchain adjuster failed its got a manual one know :P ...other time it came back in a van was the rider broke :o :lol: ....and its half ktm ;)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I think its best to leave a clear space .. for air cooling effect. and water flow?
Also the stone pings are good feedback?
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Tramp wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:20 pm Okay i was out for a short ride on the ccm644 ..it survived lol anyway as it didnt have the sumpguard fitted I noticed how quite it was...

Russ ask Phil what we fitted on the Donk , that worked well :D
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Tramp wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:49 pm ....and its half ktm ;)
Yeah but it’s the CCM half that lets you down 😄

Happy new year Russ 👍
one-legged adventurer
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Happy new year too Bob...

it was the Suzuki Dr bit aheem :o :mrgreen: ....got a manual one off ebay :D
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Id sell the bike as theres obviously something wrong with it :lol: