Snow Chains v Auto Socks

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
chunky butt

Re: Snow Chains v Auto Socks

Post by chunky butt »

Yeah I know sprintster, ;) but I only look at the price usually :)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

chunky butt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 pm Winter tyres on the van all year round, great in snow, can't knock them and my van is often off the black top......only downside is noise level... :D
It that what the funny noise was , I thought it was the turbo :lol: :lol:
fraserdog

Post by fraserdog »

I've got 4 x Dunlop Winter Sport 5's on my Peugeot estate and manage to do over 120 miles in the snow on sunday with no dramas at all,had Goodyear ultragrip 7's on it before and they were just as good,neither makes were any noisier than my summer road tyres.
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Used winter tyres for a few years commuting across rural Yorkshire. Would agree that in the UK they are the best option. However, I ran into an issue with insurance because my standard tyres were on alloys, but winter ones on steel rims. Insurance company wouldn't cover without cancelling cover and taking out new policy as it constituted a change to vehicle specification :( Changer insurance companies and checked that they would accept steel rims and winter tyres without issue ... which they (new insurance company) said ok :)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I’ve not encountered any issues with insurance with the steel rims, then again I haven’t asked, however the rims are OEM items for my car which I bought from the dealer
sven

Post by sven »

vRSG60 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:10 pm Snow socks are meant for snow only. I've used them a couple of times in 2"-3" snow and they do work. Got me out of a fix on both occasions.
Treat them as an emergency only fix. I keep a pair in the boot.
I had some for my company BMW 320d and they definitely worked, but they’re impractical most of the time here in the Pennines as I needed them to get out of the village for several days in the snow, but then had to stop halfway to work to take them off and vice versa.

I just ended up driving the last couple of miles to work and back very slowly and shredded the Autosocks slightly :oops:
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

sprintster wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:13 pm Winter tyres for me. Not only do they give better grip in the snow but they also improve grip and braking if the tar is just cold or frosty. I couldn't be bothered faffing about with chains or socks every time it snowed. This was coming home from work on Friday.

As above....local drivers here in the region e.g. electricity reps and the likes .....they fit snow tyres to company cars to allow then to get out and about.

A four wheel drive vehicle will of course assist.

:D
Will It Buff Out?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

for some reason :roll: I didn't realise that bikes could have snow chains ?

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

garyboy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:11 amfor some reason :roll: I didn't realise that bikes could have snow chains ?
That's a bloody coincidence - I've just seen my mate Stepháne's posting this on the TET Facebook page! :)
WillS wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 am Snow Hains everyday. They last for years and years, I have seen the Auto-Socks last a few km then start shredding.
They work great on fresh snow or hard packed snow, but slush, and tarmac a no no!!
Taking the Socks off and putting them back on every few meters/km is really not a good idea.
Chains you can leave on until the road is really clear.
Driving with Snow Chains gives a very good grip in snow and ice in the mountains down here in the Pyrenees. :D
Same here Will on the 'sunny side' the important thing is to practise fitting them each year before you actually need the buggers out there in the cold and wind and dark and, er, snow ... :lol:

Regs

Simon
Last edited by Simon_100 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

that's where I got it from, Simon :D

Return to “TECHNICAL”