Snow Chains v Auto Socks

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Spike941

Snow Chains v Auto Socks

Post by Spike941 »

Currently missing out on all the fun back home, stuck here in southern Spain, and realising my old snow chains don't fit my new car. I was wondering whether to replace the chains with a set of Auto socks. Anyone here have any experience with the Auto Socks or similar when driving/fitting in snow and ice?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Snow Chains v Auto Socks

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I contemplated getting a set some years ago, but both chains and socks seemed to have so many limitations that in the end I just opted for a set of 3PMSF tyres: in my case Kleiber Quadraxers.

I was on a mission to rescue my ex-stepson from a snowbound Plymouth. When I got to the steep residential street where he lived, it was so slippery that kids were sliding down it. My old Volvo V40 estate climbed to the top without drama or wheelspin. We loaded it up, did a 3-point turn at the top, and cautiously went back down the hill in first gear.

The Volvo is long-gone (as is the stepson), but Kleiber Quadraxers remain my car tyre of choice. I now live down a dirt track in Cornwall, but don't have a 4x4...don't need one...I've got my Quadraxers.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I'll second proper snow tyres, they make a huge difference, my Transit wouldn't set off down hill in a little snow with normal tyres on, changed to snow tyres and it's hard to get it to wheel spin now. I leave them on all year as I use it to go to events in and the tyres have got me off muddy fields that have had other vans stuck.

Steve
Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

Work vans are provided with Autosocks, I personally haven't had to use them yet but a colleague who lives in Whitby has gone through loads of them as they shred very easily if not just kept to snow covered roads.
I am an advocate for the councils not gritting roads and putting the onus on drivers to fit winter tyres to their vehicles like europe does.
The amount of accidents caused by drivers expecting gritted roads to be the same as wet roads and driving too fast for the conditions is plain to see, but we can't use chains because some roads are gritted while others are not and the use of chains on non snow covered roads is not recommended.
WillS

Post by WillS »

Snow Hains everyday. They last for years and years, I have seen the Auto-Socks last a few km then start shredding.
They work great on fresh snow or hard packed snow, but slush, and tarmac a no no!!
Taking the Socks off and putting them back on every few meters/km is really not a good idea.
Chains you can leave on until the road is really clear.
Driving with Snow Chains gives a very good grip in snow and ice in the mountains down here in the Pyrenees. :D
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Winter tyres on the van all year round, great in snow, can't knock them and my van is often off the black top......only downside is noise level... :D
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Snow socks are meant for snow only. I've used them a couple of times in 2"-3" snow and they do work. Got me out of a fix on both occasions.
Treat them as an emergency only fix. I keep a pair in the boot.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Winter tyres for me. Not only do they give better grip in the snow but they also improve grip and braking if the tar is just cold or frosty. I couldn't be bothered faffing about with chains or socks every time it snowed. This was coming home from work on Friday.
Attachments
IMG_20171208_175038.jpg
IMG_20171208_175038.jpg (92.57 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Been running a set of continental winter conti tyres on the car for several years as soon as the temperatures get down regularly to below 7’C it’s time to fit them, these winter tyres are fitted to a set of steel rims. The winter conti’s seem to get great ratings on the adac tests which is why I choose them. The regular alloys rims fitted with summer tyres are then put in storage on a tyre tree until it warms up.
Luckily I decided to fit the winter tyres on Saturday ahead of Sunday’s pitiful snowfall, however this morning the road outside my home was sheet black ice and the car easily managed the hill outside my home. I also have a set of snow chains in the boot, but as yet I’ve never needed to use them
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

chunky butt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 pm Winter tyres on the van all year round, great in snow, can't knock them and my van is often off the black top......only downside is noise level... :D
All new tyres now have to show the decibel reading on the label.My winter tyres aren't any noisier than the original ones fitted.

Return to “TECHNICAL”