SUZUKI DRZ400S WON'T START!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Lee Frost

SUZUKI DRZ400S WON'T START!

Post by Lee Frost »

My 2007 DRZ400s (bought in April but hardly used since then) won't start. It turns over, but won't fire-up. I've almost flattened a full battery twice now trying to start it! It did run fine but had stood in my shed for the last 3 months.

1. Could it be a weak battery? The headlight dims when I hit the start button, though I recently had a 2nd hand Lynx fairing with HiDs fitted so I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that to aid starting as the lights pull a lot of power from the battery? The battery stays on an Optimate so it's always well charged.
2. Didn't realise that my bike has a vacuum petcock. Had older DRZs before with a manual petcock. I wondered why there was no 'Off' position on the tap - just 'On', 'Res' and 'Pri'. I could have inadvertently left the tap on the 'Pri' position for the last 3 months stupidly assuming that was the same as 'Off' so fuel has been able to run into the carb. Could fuel have filled the carb, got through the vacuum hose and into the cylinder, causing the starting issue?
3. Could it be the spark plug? Removing the plug on the DRZ is a pain - seat off, tank off etc!

I've got the battery on charge and will try again tomorrow, but wondered if anyone else has had a the same issue.
I'm a totally numpty when it comes to bite mechanics, btw!
Tramp

Re: SUZUKI DRZ400S WON'T START!

Post by Tramp »

Check battery voltsage with a gauge.....

Check oil levelnin sight glass as if fuel has drained into engine it will have hydrolocked which is dangerous...

Check first that the kill switch is right and pull clutch lever too and side stand up in case they are killing engine.....shame on you for not using the bike
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Drain the petrol out of the carb, clean the plug and charge the battery.
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Bump it if you can get it up a hill
herman

Post by herman »

Strip and clean the carb. The bastards all do it with the crappy fuel we have now. I ultrasonic cleaned mine in the end.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

As above,drain the fuel from the tank and float bowl of the carb,give the carb a proper clean. The vacuum fuel tap is ok until the diaphragm fails and it will cause problems(i changed mine for the earlier type manual tap). Clean and gap the spark plug. Charge the battery but you may well find it is beyond saving after standing so long. I changed mine to a 10AH lithium ion battery. You do need to cut the back out of the battery box and make a new strap for the rear as although it is the same height and width it is deeper. I purchased another battery box and cut it in half and cleaned up the edges and plastic welded the extended half back on. I cannot remember the exact battery code but i can find out for you. The bike cranks over for longer without weakening with the 10AH battery which it should have had in the first place. Some people fit a switch so the headlight can be isolated instead of on all the time which helps especially on start up. I fitted an LED headlight bulb but do your reasearch as there are a lot of unsuitable bulbs with poor beam pattern and no real difference between main and dip beam. I bought one which easily passes the MOT.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

As above take off the carb bottom, you can loosen the clips on the rubber boots so you can twist it to the left side to access the four retaining bolts.
Also consider draining the tank and putting in some fresh fuel whilst doing this check the tap is working by putting the hose over a container and move it from run [vac open only] to [ri [manual open].
Whilst you have the hose off check of there is a small fuel filter pushed into the carb spigot it may be blocked.
If you still have start issues check the off button is in the correct position, choke is on and squirt some propane or quick start fluid onto the air filter area to give it a bump start.
Lee Frost

Post by Lee Frost »

Thanks chaps. I don't think the bike is hydrolocked as the engine turns over fine when I press the start button.
If the snow/sleet/rain holds off today I'll get the bike out and have a play.
It's probably something very simple as the bike was running fine back in September and the carb was serviced just before I bought it. I also put fresh fuel in as the tank was very low.
I've got a new switch to wire in so I can turn the headlights on/off as the one already fitted doesn't work.
I was also planning on buying a more powerful battery and either modding the existing battery box or buying the bigger Happy Trails box when I'm over in the US next spring.
Lee Frost

Post by Lee Frost »

Bike all sorted! It was stale fuel. Didn't take long to go off as I swapped the tank 3 months ago so it was empty then. Anyway, drained the tank, drained the carb, put fresh fuel in and it started on the button!

Return to “TECHNICAL”