Front brake sizes

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mikekitts81

Front brake sizes

Post by Mikekitts81 »

As some may know iam changing my forks in a conversion so iam also changing my brakes wheels etc .... How many different sizes callipers are there and are most interchangeable if I by the right bracket for the forks i.e fit any caliper on the bracket or are there lots of different sizes. I've been looking at supermoto conversion brakes but a lot online say change from 426 brakes to crf brakes but they both use nissin calipers and they look identical so if anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated as I can't see a change in them at all
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
steve the grease

Re: Front brake sizes

Post by steve the grease »

There are lots of different calipers , lots and lots of different calipers. The EBC brake catalog runs to 375 pages and lists roughly 600 different pad numbers in the FA range, this infers roughly 600 different caliper types. If 2 different bikes both list the same pads , then there is a likelyhood that the caliper will be similar , but it's no guarantee. You need to do a bit of research first.
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

We're is the catalogue can it be downloaded on line???? iam reaserching but can't seem to find the answers the only thing I've found that could possibly be a change is from 2007 crfs have a link within the master cyclinder which made the brake better but it seems the calipers look the same looked for measurements but can't seem to find them ..
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Lots of variables Mike, unless you measure everything from the distance between the mounting hole to pad edge, the offset on the disk..etec etc, the only real way is to either mount things up and try , find a matching wheel/fork/brake combination, or find a similar combination that someone has found to match.

If you are getting into mixing wheels and forks you have to think about custom spacers, possibly different bearings if the axle that fits the fork is different to the axle that fits the wheel, it can sometimes be an easy swap, or sometimes only worth it if you have a machine shop
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Heres the catalogue I have ( if it works)
Attachments
EBC Brakes_katalog_2013.pdf
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks,

The rear wheel of my Beta Alp had been changed with new bespoke spacers made. I refitted the original wheel but did not notice that the 'fitted' spacers meant that the caliper was offset too far to the right and this allowed the inner brake pad to simply drop out whilst the bike was being ridden :!: :!: :!:

The white line is the inner pad backing plate, which just sits in the shaped recess of the anchor plate. The picture probably explains the situation better than words. The spacers were modified to move the caliper closer to the disc.
anchor plate 2.jpg
anchor plate 2.jpg (134.53 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Just raising as a point for you to bear in mind.

I was going to add a copy of a past Goldfren brake pad catalogue but it is too large, probably the latest version can be downloaded from their website.

TTFN

Hugh.
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

steve the grease wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:00 am Heres the catalogue I have ( if it works)
Cheers for that Steve the grease that's helped loads they seem to be running the same brakes and pads so the only difference seems to be the master cyclinder as a linkage in it what the yz doesn't so that most be the reason the brakes seem better on the crf rather than the yz/wr so think I'll sort the crf master and see which is cheaper for the callipers as there the same thanks again :)

Return to “TECHNICAL”