Bead Blasting or similar

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
DanielS

Bead Blasting or similar

Post by DanielS »

After ages of looking for a project bike, I've eventually got one. It's an R1150R and severely corroded, this includes engine, telelever, swingarm, frame, forks and other bits and pieces.

I was weighing up the pros and cons of trying soda blasting at home with a compressor, baking soda and a lot of mess as per many comments and YouTube videos. On the bright side baking soda is not bad for the environment as you can just wash it away. However, on the flip side, for the cost of all the tools and the risk of a crap finish, I could possibly get a company to do this and do a proper job. I've been told to be weary of shot blasting wheel refurb type companies as they'll wreck the alloy stuff.

Has anyone ever done similar and have suggestions on places to look at (East Mids if possible)

A couple of pics to amuse you and make me despair.
2017-11-13 10.44.45.jpg
2017-11-13 10.44.45.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
2017-11-13 10.45.42.jpg
2017-11-13 10.45.42.jpg (127.62 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
2017-11-13 10.46.03.jpg
2017-11-13 10.46.03.jpg (134.46 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
Craig-SM

Re: Bead Blasting or similar

Post by Craig-SM »

Can't help but watching with interest as I have bought an old Honda CX500 to mess about with and though it's not as bad as your bike condition wise but it needs the wheels and engine casings doing. Walnut shell and Water Vapour blasting have both been recommended to me.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

See if there is anyone near you that does CO2 blasting. Perfect for the sort of project you are thinking.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Alloy wheel blasting companies should use glass bead or aluminium oxide but I thought some of the GS engine covers were magnesium based which could get interesting when blasting them.
Mikeyboy on here or UKGSer would be my first port of call.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Dansin

Post by Dansin »

Not near you but Redditch Shotblasting are brilliant. They’re bikers so know what they’re doing with bike parts. Might be worth a phone call and trip.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Thanks for all the comments so far.

I've also found a place locally:

https://www.bike-aquablasting.co.uk/aqu ... rvices.php

but this place looks even better as they can (At the owners risk) block off all the ports/openings and blast the engine without dismantling the whole thing.

https://vipvapourblasting.co.uk/complete-engines/
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

If you already have a compressor it's not as pricey as you think I got a portable blaster and they work great and there relatively cheap ..https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2854146108 the only thing I would say is you need a good enough compressor one of my compressors doesn't have the hump to do it continously it as to start and stop every now and then to fill up .... But these are great to have in your garage for odd jobs here and there ..
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

I agree, an air compressor is a useful tool to have in the garage, after washing my bike I always dry it with compressed air, applying ACF-50 and the like is far better using a spray gun. The only issue is to get a decent blasting result you need a 100L 14CFM compressor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Daniel,

Mikeyboy (Overland and Classic) of this parish has recently acquired both wet and dry blast cabinets.

He's based not far from Melton Mowbray.

PM me if you have trouble getting hold of him as I'm not sure he's been on here since the 'change'.

Tufty
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Thanks all some helpful replies. I received some quotes back and for the whole engine it's about £400 as it's very labour intensive apparently (I don't want to strip it as I'm a bit thick) and they need to use some or other chemical as well due to the finish. That's just way beyond my budget, I can buy a replacement engine for that in good condition and then have mine for spares. I'm by no means saying it's bad value, I'm just saying that for me it's a difficult choice.

I'll give MikeyBoy a ring, thanks Tufty. It'd be nice to see his place as I've only ever read good things about him.

Return to “TECHNICAL”