Bead Blasting or similar

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
DanielS

Re: Bead Blasting or similar

Post by DanielS »

Another few hours in the garage and it seemed that it was a little bit slow. Everything I touched was corroded solid. I couldn't get the ABS sensor for the front wheel out, and still can't, so after thinking what I will do with the ABS since it wasn't working, I will ditch it so I cut the sensor wire and got the front forks off.

The exhaust was another nightmare with the headers sized on, the slip joints seized too. But after lots of patience I got it all off.

Now though I'm stuck with the telelever pivot shaft. The shaft (now) turns freely and I've got the nut off the right hand side, but no amount of hitting the shaft will see it budge. I've read reports of it corroding onto the bearing and I suspect this is what's happened. However it's not the end of the world as I should be able to leave it on there and worry about it later.

Next up is the ABS removal, the Haynes manual makes it sound daunting, but since I'm ditching the ABS it should be easier.

Once again, feedback, tips and tricks are always welcome.

The shaft I can't get out on the left hand side

The right hand side:

and some general pics.

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Lots of penetration fluid and time to loosen up is best ..... oh shit...... wrong forum :oops: ;)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:15 pm Lots of penetration fluid and time to loosen up is best
That's my motto in life ;) I've sprayed more plusgas on it (and the other bolts around the bike) so will crack on again next weekend.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

I managed to get a little bit more done this weekend.

Starting at the rear I unbolted all the plastics, rear light, wiring and a million cable ties and got them removed. Before I removed the subframe though I removed the ABS unit, unlike the video on here (Which I followed) I didn't "nicely" remove all the brake lines for the ABS, I chopped them off and threw them in a pile :)

Are the old ABS units worth anything? Although the seller told me the ABS was fine until the morning that he sold me the bike (Yehr right) it didn't work for me. Shall I just bin it?

Once the ABS unit was removed I disconnected the final few wires and removed the rear subframe.

Next up was the front telelever which I couldn't remove last week. I'd been spraying it in the week with plusgas and bought some freeze spray too. I can of freezespray later, many bad words and the shaft was out and the telelever removed. Bas news is that I destroyed the thread on the shaft, never mind, at least it's free!

After this, Haynes recommended removing the front frame and suspending it above the bike. I didn't have anything to do this with, so I just concentrated on removing other bits and pieces such as the airbox.

I also removed the front screen which was held on by cable ties, rusty bolts and a prayer. What a joke!

Finally I removed the (shagged) starter motor:

and, do you like my lightened flywheel? ;)

I then soaked the remaining bolts/nuts with penetrating spray ready for next weekend. Thankfully I have a nice new clutch and flywheel because, like an idiot, I accidentally sprayed penetrating spray on the clutch bolts through the starter motor opening by mistake.

Wonder what my chances are of getting it completely stripped next weekend?
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Well a few hours this afternoon in the garage sees the front end off.

Tomorrow I shall remove the rear wheel and see about splitting the box and the engine. I'm not sure how much work it is so may end up just leaving it together before and take it to be cleaned up and a new clutch/flywheel fitted.

The front frame is suspended from the ceiling (I hope my little hooks hold!) and the bike dropped out from underneath

DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Ever get that feeling you're speaking but nobody's listening? ;)

Anyhow ..

Today I had a spare hour and managed to separate the box from the engine. Hopefully I will be allowed to drop it off later this week for someone to repair and paint. I'll ask him to fit a new flywheel, clutch, vapour blast it, paint bits and pieces and give it a check over as I think it needs a new cam chain tensioner.

tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Is it finished yet? :D
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Cracking effort at having a go yerself :D

If you don't find a home for the ABS servo, I'd like to get my hands on one, just to see whats what inside one.

Eldest has recently acquired a 1200GS and it looks like the same pump as the one you've removed.

Please let me know if you what rid of the servo.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

You are certainly brave taking on that crumbling mess--they don't make them like they used to thats for sure. My son's 81 G/S still has shiny wheels etc--and it lives outside--all the aluminium is unpainted/treated--simply doesn't seem to corrode much---when did they change material?. I had an 1150R Rockster, but I'm a cleanaholic so the finish survived. It looks like it was parked on a storm lashed seafront? :roll:
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

It's currently at a friends who's going to blast it for me when he gets the time. I started on it with paint stripper, a nylon brush and bits and pieces but it was taking ages. Tufty, I did speak to Mikey, but he's too much of a perfectionist for something so "ordinary" (In my opinion as the R1150R is hardly a rare and expensive bike) and I couldn't warrant the cost. His job would have been top notch though I don't doubt.

Steve, you're welcome to the servo, just cover postage, it almost went in the black bin today but I couldn't be arsed to go into the garage to get it ;)

Return to “TECHNICAL”