GS heated grips

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Carl J

GS heated grips

Post by Carl J »

My grips on my 1150gs & the wife's 650 GS are beginning to have seen better days :( , I seem to recall somewhere that they can be replace by using TWO throttle side grips :) , am I correct with this and has anyone tried foam style grips over the heater element, what's the best way to get em off without damaging the heater element and what's best to stick em back with :unsure: .

cheers

Carl
Not all who wander are lost.
Gaffer64

Re: GS heated grips

Post by Gaffer64 »

Hi I have just replaced my grips with Symtec heated elements, with two right hand grips from motorworks BMW online dealers. I used as suggested by others to use hairspray to get the throttle slide back on and an epoxy glue on the clutch side. I put a similiar request on myself so have a look through the old messages, as a forum member had some great photo's. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Mike G
scurrell

Post by scurrell »

I've replaced mine a couple of times with normal throttle-side grips.

I used a scalpel to cut almost through the old grip, and then carefully peeled them off.

Hairspray to fit the throttle side, and some sort of glue (can't remember what) on the clutch side.
"It was only the beer talking, but what it said made perfect sense..."

Carl J

Post by Carl J »

after grubbing around the interweb I've just found this and hopefully it will be helpful to others too

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... eb&t=90799

Carl
Not all who wander are lost.
scurrell

Post by scurrell »

Carl J wrote:after grubbing around the interweb I've just found this and hopefully it will be helpful to others too

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... eb&t=90799

Carl
Mike's write-ups are good, if slightly inaccurate - my grips were Kawasaki green, not bright yellow....

He's also done an excellent write-up for replacing the throttle cables, if you ever feel tempted to do so.
"It was only the beer talking, but what it said made perfect sense..."

Return to “TECHNICAL”