Stop n go plugger

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
vRSG60

Stop n go plugger

Post by vRSG60 »

Further to my last post re a nail in my tyre. Tried the stop n go plugger to repair the puncture twice now and on each occasion the plug has ended up coming out and back inside the tyre!
The first plug lasted around 50 miles the second less than 5.
Followed the instructions to the letter. I thought these were meant to last!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
AustinW

Re: Stop n go plugger

Post by AustinW »

I have had mixed results with PnG. With the last puncture earlier this year the first plug got e a few mies home and then about another 25 before popping out. The second repair wasted about 3 plugs before I got one to hold. That failed next day. The third plug then lasted around 300 miles before it developed a slow leak. I replaced the tyre then. On other occasions plugs have gone straight in and held up for 2000+miles until the tyres wore out.

I think that when they don't work well is when cut ends of steel belting is damaged either by the nail or whatever causing the puncture or by reaming the hole. These stray bit wire damage and cut the plug in its way in and when being seated. The plus is after all very soft and necessarily easy to cut. Just my thoughts.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I've used the stick string kits you get on eBay for £5 on my car tyre.It's still going strong 12k miles later.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I used to use these things on trials events but only ever considered them to be a temporary fix. They only ever worked on tubeless tyres though.

As AustinW has said the steel cords within the structure can abrade the softer string like plug. A similar problem is sometimes encountered when trying to repair a puncture caused by broken glass as tiny fragments can remain embedded in the side of the hole.

The original 'string' repairs were banned back in the 60's on cars because they could simply be blown out by the internal air pressure and flexing of the tyre, so they had to be redesigned to the current single stem plug of mushroom shape with a large head which is then glued to seal and stick the plug to the inside of the tyre.

My personal view is that any tyre that has had to be repaired should be considered sub standard and road speed reduced accordingly, just my view :shock:

TTFN

Hugh.
kev.t

Post by kev.t »

Hugh wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:50 am

My personal view is that any tyre that has had to be repaired should be considered sub standard and road speed reduced accordingly, just my view :shock:

TTFN

Hugh.
that 100%

Return to “TECHNICAL”