non running fixer upper!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dibbs

non running fixer upper!

Post by dibbs »

So i bought a non running 2005 Husqvarna te510 as a fixer upper semi project. I thought the reason for not running was mechanical and have now checked the timing,which is all in sync,also the valve clearances are fine and the carb is all clean and doing what is supposed to do! But the bike still won't fire up.

I got all the things i have checked confirmed by a mechanic just to make sure I've done it all properly and he did a pressure and leak down test as well, and the results were ok. So i know i have compression, fuel, a good spark, but the bike just keeps turning over but wont fire up! So the issue must be electrical, and this is where I'm stumped, as i have no clue when it comes to electrical stuff. Could the spark be sparking at the wrong time? What part of the circuit is it that tells the spark when to fire?, can it be tested and how?

Im pulling my hair out over this now and just don't know how to fix this, ive trawlled through you tube videos but none seem to highlight my problem,so any experts out there please please help before i go insane.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: non running fixer upper!

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Firing on the wrong stroke....BTDC of the exhaust stroke rather than the compression stroke?

If it's any consolation I had a TE610E which was a poor starter too.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

The pick up coil 180° out or ignition coils on the opposite plugs. Is it a twin or single?
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Remote diagnosis is a mug's game, but just to completely elimanate Fuelling: pull the plug out, drop a teaspoon of fuel down the 'ole plug back in and give er a try
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yeah .. I think its fuel ... turn over a few times then check if the spark plug is wet .... if dry then no fuel getting through .. if very wet then it is flooding ... if a bit wet then its probably ignition after all?
(ps.. no expert)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I wouldn't put raw fuel in the engine unless you are sure the timing is spot on...if it fires at BDC it won't be pretty (just ask the guy who muddled the plug leads on his Ducati).

Squirt of easy start might be better
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:51 am The pick up coil 180° out or ignition coils on the opposite plugs. Is it a twin or single?
Its a single! Is it the coil that controls the actual spark timing?
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 am I wouldn't put raw fuel in the engine unless you are sure the timing is spot on...if it fires at BDC it won't be pretty (just ask the guy who muddled the plug leads on his Ducati).

Thanks for that. I might try easy start, but surly the garage would have tried that! Ill check with them first.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 am I wouldn't put raw fuel in the engine unless you are sure the timing is spot on...if it fires at BDC it won't be pretty (just ask the guy who muddled the plug leads on his Ducati).

Ducati has a 90 degree difference between firing of each cylinder, so swapping leads is BAD.
There is nothing to worry about in putting a teaspoon of fuel down the plug ole of a 500cc single even if the spark is 180 out.
(it's not enough to hydro lock it either)
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

dibbs wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:52 pm
Billy Bananahead wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:51 am The pick up coil 180° out or ignition coils on the opposite plugs. Is it a twin or single?
Its a single! Is it the coil that controls the actual spark timing?
There will be some sort of trigger or rotor on the end of the crankshaft that passes the electro-magnetic pick up coil. If the trigger or coil is in the wrong place the spark will fire at the wrong time.
I'm only guessing as that is how most bikes work these days.

Return to “TECHNICAL”