non running fixer upper!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
smudger272

Re: non running fixer upper!

Post by smudger272 »

Dude Eeyore you bought a fooking Donkey
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

dibbs wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:12 pm He was riding it one minute and it just died the next and wouldn’t start!
Ah! If he was riding it when it conked out then it's unlikely to be gummed up carbs. Although I'd be a bit skeptical of a past owner's diagnosis without further evidence, a rogue kill switch or sidestand switch would show similar symptoms.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Did you say the battery was knackered?

Could that be the problem, or is the ignition system totally separate from the battery (some are)?
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

The battery is totally dead can’t recover as it’s been on charge for a week and nothing! To start the bike only a push button is required as no separate ignition key etc. I’ve been using the wife’s car battery to try turning it over and she is running out of patience with me now! So I need to fix it soon!!!!!!!
bowber

Post by bowber »

Starting to sound electrical to me.
Many many many... ok you get the picture, years ago I was out on my wife's Honda Domi and it just stopped, fortunately I wasn't far from home but still it's a heavy bike to push back. I changed the pickup first and the bike ran but it ran hot, so after stripping the carb, new plug, fresh fuel etc, all with no change I bit the bullet and bought a new CDI/ignition unit and it ran perfectly. All I can assume is that either both components failed at the same time or one took the other out.
I make it sound easy but it was month of messing and going back to try different things, so I'd be looking for a new or good second hand CDI/ignition unit to try.

Steve

Return to “TECHNICAL”