Engine and frame paint

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mikekitts81

Engine and frame paint

Post by Mikekitts81 »

I've stripped my bike and I am gonna take everything off before rewiring bits for extra instrumentals and give it a once over bearings oils filters plugs etc and why the bike is now in about hundred peices being prepared for this I could potentially paint my engine and frame . Yes powder coating would be a better job but it's nothing fancy it's for green lanes and off road rallys etc and I've been doing the t.e.t on it ... what I want to know is as anyone used engine paints such as pj1 or anything similar that's an epoxy paint and would you recommended it or will it just peel in a week under heat etc and should I just stay to painting the covers or should I do it all
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
herman

Re: Engine and frame paint

Post by herman »

Cant comment on the engine paint but in truth powder coating the frame will be cheap, long lasting and less hassle.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

If you have it down to the frame then its worth powder coating--get a good commercial outfit to do it---- that are used to fences, gates and so on----70 quid should do it. We've had the Super Sherpa done--and its VERY robust. We also had my son's R80 G/S special crashbars done--and thats been thrown at rocks etc and shows very little signs of wear--just the odd scrape (which hasn't gone through). Just make sure that you put sacrificial bolts etc in every threaded hole--and if the outfit are good they will block off the headstock properly--I'm near peterboghorror so can give you an address. On the engine a good quality VHT paint will do the job--but the cases need to be very clean and ideally carefully prepped with 800/1200 wet and dry for a good key.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I use tractor paint, cellulose enamel, for painting things like pillar drills, very hard with good chemical resistance but not very good at covering up blemishes.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

As said powder coating for frame probably easiest and cheapest option finish will be better and more durable.
When I rebuilt my XTZ750 a few years back I painted the engine with an engine paint. Be careful though as some don't properly set/cure until the engine has actually been run and brought up temperature think mine was not properly cured until at least six hours running.
I was very careful whilst putting it all back together then had a little mishap with some fuel and it took the uncured paint on the clutch cover right off. Luckily at time easily rectified.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I've never got this thing about powder coating being so tough, I've had a few frames done in the past and quite frankly I'd rather have a decent paint job, less chipping and thinner.

Steve
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

i no powder coating is a good choice as I use to work for a place in platt bridge that did powder coating for hospital beds etc and it is a heavy coating thats protective but my thing with powder coating is that the frame holds the engine oil and didn't really want to go that route due to this. to be honest the frame isn't in that bad of condition as the guy who had it before me didn't really use it for off road it was a supermoto so did road and the odd track days. I just cant decide what to do iam stuck in 2 minds on which way to go. I have been reading these past few days and some people say it flakes on the engine and others swear by it. I just don't wana do it then regret it and have it needing to be doen again a week or 2 later ..
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .

Return to “TECHNICAL”