Tyres and chain for CCM

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Jak*

Tyres and chain for CCM

Post by Jak* »

Hi, I am contemplating getting a set of Maxxis M6006 tyres for my CCM, has anyone tried them? Do Mitas do an equivalent in the right sizes 90/90 21 and 120/90 18? I am finding that with the more aggressive knobblies tyre life is ridiculously short but I found that the Heidenaus it came with were not great in the mud so am looking for a compromise. Also does anyone know what size and number of links the chain is? Thanks Jak
minkyhead

Re: Tyres and chain for CCM

Post by minkyhead »

got a1000 out of my maxxis

ImageIMG_4772 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

prefer the unicross for a full braaap tyre it has great road manner but wont last long ..good winter tyre

i use mitas e09s rears for generel trails but if its a super slippy weekend i have a unicross fitted to my spare wheel

generel trail riding the e09 rear doe pretty well a130/18 will fit no bother not available in 120s

i use 644s fronts all the time

i decent suggestion fo duel use is pirelli m21s front and back ??

im using 14/51 so i cant help with the chain links ....would rcommend did vmxz extream though
ImageDSC_0171 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0453 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I used the 6006 once, on my previous TTR600, rear ... absolute crap .. but that is just my own opinion, as perhaps it did not suit the bike and maybe I had the pressure a bit too high? .. it would skid on every simple stop on every type of road, every time.
the MT21's that Minky mentions, are really grippy on tarmac but wear quickly with spirited use, and quite good off road too. .. but I found them really rumbly at higher speeds on tarmac. ..but overall, I would agree, a good compromise.
I have yet to try the eo9 (on Minky's recommendation :) ) or the 644 , can't wait to get them fitted :)

most drive chains seem to be 520?
the std length may be somewhere in the spec?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

a lot depends on the type of terraine where you ride ....mixed tracks the e09 does quite well ..it big weakness is lack of side grip on adverse cambers ....i also think it is more usful on the crfs as the very mild power delivery helps em hook up on softer stuff
it can spin up here and there but it s prdictable and it doesnt strand you it will drive thriugh most slop but it isnt going to beat a enduro tyre its not a bad choice for road/trail as it lasts much better than a spikey one ....id say unicross 2000 on a crf an a e09 5000 on the crf

and 1500 and 2500/30000 on the ccm depending on you wrist

id class itas a bridging tyre sitting somwhere between a maxxis and a k60 tbo if you keep the front planted a abit of rear spin here and there isnt a huge problem
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I agree with Minkyhead about the E09. Decent all round with the proviso of the side grip. Traversing an angled slope is not a strength. Mine wore out in Spain last month. All I could replace it with at short notice was a 140 E09. It just fits. However, out in the Peaks last week it was not gripping in the mud like the 130. Perhaps just my imagination, and it is worn, perhaps 5mm left at the centre.
Previously I had an Anakee Wild on the rear which is better on those traverses and, in my opinion, at least on a par with the E09. I agree with Minkyhead about wear rate, Anakee Wild is similar, maybe lasts a tad longer.
Have an Anakee Wild front. It's a good compromise in my opinion. Excellent road manners and decent on the trails too. Not as planted as a decent knobbly in the soft stuff but it goes roughly where I point it in the mud. So far done 5k on the front, it has about 4mm left in the centre. Still good on the road and ok on trails unless it's muddy, where it's now "interesting". Will be replaced very soon.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Thanks for all the replies so far. The owners manual does not list the chain length that I can see, I will have to check the service manual. I am finding Mitas's numbering system somewhat confusing, I can only find the 644 in 100/90 21 on the front. At the moment pneus seem to be offering TKCs for about a tenner more than the Mitas, are these any good and what sort of mileage do people get out of them?
cheers Jak
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I had a TKC rear. Generally ok but not too good in the mud. Down to 4mm after 2200 miles. So, apart from the K60, a bit better than average for me. Both the E09 and the Anakee Wild are better in the mud in my opinion.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi, CCM specify a Regina chain part number 135ZRE/1050 108 links.
Cheers Jak
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Jak* wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 pm Thanks for all the replies so far. The owners manual does not list the chain length that I can see, I will have to check the service manual. I am finding Mitas's numbering system somewhat confusing, I can only find the 644 in 100/90 21 on the front. At the moment pneus seem to be offering TKCs for about a tenner more than the Mitas, are these any good and what sort of mileage do people get out of them?
cheers Jak
I have no experience of the TKC on the CCM Jak but do on an admittedly much heavier 650 BMW. I'm not quite sure what they offer over the K60. Both are very good on the road & both are ok off on gentle (neither are mud pluggers) but I went through a set of TKC in a matter of weeks. If you have to do any form of higher speed work they will square front & rear very fast, whereas K60's are the Chuck Norris of tyres.

I would be looking at something like the E09 for winter laning
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I have never used TKCs as they always seemed expensive. The original Heidnaus lasted about 4,500 miles and if I was just using it on road I would have got at least another 500 out of them. When new they were fine on dry trails but not so good in mud or on wet leaves. I had no issues with them on the road in any conditions. Since I took them off I have gone through three sets of off road tyres, some AC 10s which were not really good for anything, a pair of Mitas C02 and C19s I think, which were great off road and I find fine on the road, even in the wet. The back one is still about half worn but the front is ditched. I then put a pair of old Chen Shins on which were part worn but have probably lasted 1000 miles. The bike has now done about 7,500 miles.
In the winter I tend to do less off road partly because I don't get back from work till it is dark and partly due to other commitments. I guess I am after the holy grail of a long lasting tyre for the road which is okay in the mud. The TKCs generally get reasonable reviews and they look more off road than the K60s but every bike and rider is different. A lot of people rate the EO9s but everyone seems to think they are hard to fit which as I fit my own tyres could be an issue. The 644 s seem to be harder to get hold of and relatively expensive. What I really need to do is sort my Norton out for commuting and stick to using the CCM for off road. As they are on offer I might give the TKCs a go just so I can see what they are like.
As I usually ride 'classics' (old nails) I find the wear rate of tyres quite shocking on the CCM but I guess if I rode modern sports bikes it would be acceptable. At least the tyres are relatively cheap. A friend was quoted £370 to replace the rear tyre on his Thunderbird 1700. I have bought a lot of bikes for less.
Cheers Jak

Return to “TECHNICAL”