Waterless coolant?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Seminole

Re: Waterless coolant?

Post by Seminole »

Mike54 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:40 pm
Seminole wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 am Evans waterless is slightly less efficient than a glycol water mix and your engine will run slightly hotter, the advantage or it is it will not boil off untill it hits a silly temperature, so you are far less likely to lose your coolant through the vent hose if you overheat.

Some Americans swear by it and if you are planning trips across uninhabited deserts it could be good insurance, here in the UK absolutely no point. I have come across one rotax 912 engine using it as the pilot had fallen for the myth that it afforded greater cooling
The point of Evans is that it has a significantly higher boiling point than at which the engine can actually operate, so it wont ever boil, it simply can't, the engine would stop working prior to it reaching boiling point. Since it doesn't vapourize, therefore doesn't create extra pressure in the cooling system like standard coolant does when it overheats. I've used it for a long time, for example when I bought my 2014 450 exc I put it in that. I haven't needed to top it up, change it or otherwise mess with it since, a nd that bike has been raced, rallied, raced in dunes, used for offroad trips, etc etc. Like Skygod, I'll always use it no matter what. btw, utter nonsense that the engine runs hotter with it, it doesn't. We've tested with probes both here and desert use.

You really are a cockwomble mike
bowber

Post by bowber »

Seminole wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:18 am
? He offered his opinion and experience using the product mentioned so why the rude reaction? :?:

Steve
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Perhaps because I pointed out that he didn't know what he was talking about.
felco

Post by felco »

Water is a proven, manufacturers use it, why spend on something no manufacturer recommends? Sponsored race teams do, wonder why? Could be a money thing do ya think.
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

It isn't cheap to put in your bike but once done there is no need to replace the coolant

The benefits of no pressure on the seals and water pump will give longevity on the engine so it is more preventative maintenance

Why would manufactures adopt it if they can charge you for coolent replacement every couple of years
Every day is an adventure
felco

Post by felco »

http://www.oilem.com/potential-issues-w ... -coolants/

Did some Googling to try and understand the benefits, doesn't seem to be any.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Same here, did some digging ont tinternet and I'd stick to water/antifreeze mix.
Water does conduct heat better and while you need a pressurised system if your cooling system is in good condition you'll not have any problems, the antifreeze takes care of the rest of the problems associated with water and while you do need to check it and top it up that's not a bad thing, you look over the cooling system hopefully catch problems before they happen, commonly called preventative maintenance.
You do need to check on your antifreeze types though to make sure you get the right one.

Steve
felco

Post by felco »

bowber wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:30 pm
Seminole wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:18 am
? He offered his opinion and experience using the product mentioned so why the rude reaction? :?:

Steve
Probably read some of his previous posts bowber, he does give everyone the impression he is a prick.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

During WW2, many aircraft were changed from pure glycol to glycol and water because of the fire risk...one reason why later models of Spitfire had a rad under each wing.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

Are sure that is correct as the mkIX Spitfire has the split radiators to make way for the supercharger on the two stage Merlin?

Return to “TECHNICAL”