Acu regs and rally info please anyone

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mikekitts81

Acu regs and rally info please anyone

Post by Mikekitts81 »

I have been looking at doing some rally riding at first glance I thought I would be able to just take a bike and do a course but now I've been reading the acu regs etc iam sorta find it a pain in the arse really is it really as hard as it looks for a begineer to get into to. I fell I need a solicitor to read through it for me ..ha ha and then the pictures what I can't make head or tail off can anyone point me in the right direction and explain the picture some of it I think I get but other bits are a bit mind boggling for me ...I just wana get on the bike and ride but it seems I need a race team to do it ....
Screenshot_20171011-142549.png
Screenshot_20171011-142549.png (74.2 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
beddowsm

Re: Acu regs and rally info please anyone

Post by beddowsm »

Should be easy.

http://rallymoto.co.uk/all-terrain-rally-challenge/

Find a rally. Pay the entry fee and turn up. Ive only done a couple and they were a few years ago, but it was as simple as that. Do the UK rallies first, gain experience and then Im sure it will open up overseas stuff through the site above.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

I find that there's either way too much or not enough info on what'll go on at scruiteneering - the MCC Trials rules (run under ACU regs) state non aggressive tyres for bikes but how aggressive is a tyre? Most folks seem to default to a trials tyre like the Pirelli MT43 but I've no idea whether something more knobbly would get through checks and it's impractical to try and test the limits of such a vague ruling as you'll simple not be allowed to run unless you can change your tyres.

If you find one that you don't have to travel to far to or can get to talk to an official first about their interpretation of the rules then I'd go with Beddowsm and put yer money down and dive in - good luck and let us know how you get on.
Harv
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

beddowsm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:05 pm Should be easy.

http://rallymoto.co.uk/all-terrain-rally-challenge/

Find a rally. Pay the entry fee and turn up. Ive only done a couple and they were a few years ago, but it was as simple as that. Do the UK rallies first, gain experience and then Im sure it will open up overseas stuff through the site above.
I did think it was that easy and I am part of the site above rallymoto and a member etc but when reading through the regs it seems they can moan about anything really if they don't want you taking part ...tyres it says need to be d.o.t legal helmets etc I understand need be acu stickered but then when you get to the bike it says no motorcross bikes anything that states it's an enduro trials or trails bike but then other technical stuff like the picture I don't understand iam not the cleverest in the class ... like I said I just wana ride ... I was thinking of doing the road book days first to have a see what it's about next year but want my bikes peeped ready and last thing wanted to do is prep it and then have them say no and have to start all over again ... as was gonna rewire etc and change connection fuse boxs and have seperate fuse boxs and a separate 12 volt charge for road books gps etc ...
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

HarveyCamm wrote:I find that there's either way too much or not enough info on what'll go on at scruiteneering - the MCC Trials rules (run under ACU regs) state non aggressive tyres for bikes but how aggressive is a tyre? Most folks seem to default to a trials tyre like the Pirelli MT43 but I've no idea whether something more knobbly would get through checks and it's impractical to try and test the limits of such a vague ruling as you'll simple not be allowed to run unless you can change your tyres.

If you find one that you don't have to travel to far to or can get to talk to an official first about their interpretation of the rules then I'd go with Beddowsm and put yer money down and dive in - good luck and let us know how you get on.
Harv
It will vary a little bit as to how strict an individual club is on enforcing the rules regarding tyres, headlights, number plate, even within a series.
It's not complicated at all generally, you'll be able to get the event secretarys number no bother and give them a bell. I'm the motox sec for our club and i get these calls now and again. Clubs want you to come and ride so they'll generally help you out.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

As said, I did 2 rallies and rode to both on a road legal KTM 950 ADV with standard green lane gear on. Fully loaded with camping gear. did some trails on the way. Camped 2 nights, did the 2 days in each rally and rode home afterwards. Was fun, and the only reason I didn't continue is that I got the sense I just wanted to go faster and faster. Missing a few corners and it really hit home how dangerous I was becoming. So basically chickened out!

Go for it!
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

just make your bike road legal lights horn , tyres may change depends on the event. some mods are allowed depending on class . ask rally moto they will be very helpful. just relax acu rules are only a guide for you to follow dont read so much in to it .....have a great time
philmeomsley

Post by philmeomsley »

I have taken part in the Kielder, Newcastleton and Rydale rallys in the trail bike class on a Yamaha WR250r. To enter all you would need is any road legal trail/enduro/adventure bike with road legal off road tyres. Scrutineering is light touch, but you will need a ACU approved helmet with the gold sticker attached I find the events great fun and not very competitive. (Probably because I am at the back) Enter the event pay for an ACU day licence and enjoy.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Great events, just like a long trail ride, I'm sure you will love it.
If unsure just go along to help a mate or go and watch the scrutineering etc prior to the start.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
bowber

Post by bowber »

If your bike passes an mot then it'll most likely pass scrutineering, road legal enduro tyres will be fine. If you get chance just go to a meeting first but I can guarantee you'll wish you'd just entered anyway.

Steve

Return to “TECHNICAL”