TKC70 review

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dubber68

TKC70 review

Post by dubber68 »

Just about to swap out the TKC70s I fitted to both my Sertao and S10 last year. I thought I would take this opportunity to give feedback on their performance.
Initially I was very impressed with these tyres and the grip was excellent in both wet and dry on tarmac with as expected off road ability for a tyre with a solid centre band. They were OK on rock and gravel but very slippery on wet grass etc where the centre band would just slip. Life span on the rear on both bikes has been good with minimal squaring off despite some long motorway miles due to commuting duties. The fronts on both bikes are another story. The wear rate has been greater than on the rear which I can understand somewhat on the S10 but the Sertao has always been quite light on front tyres. Worse still the wear is very uneven with some blocks wearing considerably more than others to the extent that there is an approximately 2mm step difference in heights from one to the other. This has resulted in a very vague feeling when riding. There was no time that they didn't grip, wet or dry, but they always felt like they were about to let go. Not very confidence inspiring coming into winter and the season of slippery roads.

Would I use them again? Not sure to be honest. I previously ran heidenau K60 tyres which lasted longer and despite the TKC70s feeling better initially when taken over the life of the tyre they are no better, maybe even slightly worse as I hate the vague feeing I was getting from them.

Just ordered a set of annakee wilds for the sertao and will probably try something different on the S10 but not sure what yet.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Yoyo

Re: TKC70 review

Post by Yoyo »

The Mitas E07 get rave reviews on the super ten forum, I was going to try a set this time around but I've stuck with a BW502 rear and will switch next spring

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

I was looking at the EO7 but there are some reports of poor wet grip and I am an all weather rider. Thought I might get something less aggressive as these days it is mostly a road bike.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I would agree with the wear on the front, mine will be coming off the Tiger soon as I am going back to Anakee's

I've also found the front noisy :cry:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
uturntony

Post by uturntony »

On an extended trip in the USA last year i needed to get new tyres for my GS at the half way stage.
The only tyres i had to choose from at Santa Rosa BMW were TKC70's so on they went.
By the time i shipped the bike home they were on about 6.5K miles. I have no gripe about their
performance other than the weird wear on the front and a slight issue with the rear.
Front tread depth was fine but as already mentioned by the OP very uneven with raised blocks everywhere
and, i have heard others have had the same problem.
As i'm a tight wad, i kept it on for a trip to Morocco earlier this year, fitting a used Tourance to the rear,
another 4K or so on it then. On the trip the vibration from the front due to the uneven wear became very bad.
Another point is the rear which flatted quite badly but they aren't the only tyre to do that but,
what i didn't like was that even though there was decent tread depth over most of the tyre
there was a band up the centre with none and i was getting the rear wheel spinning up in the wet occasionally.
Anyhow off they came and on went a part worn K60 to the front and a new E07 to the rear.
Both have done 5K miles since and still looking good.
Both tyres, imo are good on gravel and on road wet or dry; i have no concerns at all with them.
I would never fit TKC70's again but would not hesitate to fit K60's or E07's.
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

I would never fit TKC70's again

nor would I,i found them down right dangerous.at speed the bike would bounce along,as though the shock had gone.couldnt wait to get rid of them.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

wideparting wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:16 pm I would never fit TKC70's again

nor would I,i found them down right dangerous.at speed the bike would bounce along,as though the shock had gone.couldnt wait to get rid of them.
Brill I have just bought a bike and it's got a new set on it.it's a triumph explorer and I believe they are sensitive to tyres.just have to see how I go on.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

EO7'S. ...great tyre for wear, front and back. ...BUT....if you get a puncture in the rear, be prepared for lot of heartache. Took four of us all experienced, and tyre was warm, plus a sidestand levering just to brake bead :x don't know if you'd do it alone. Fronts were easy to change, wet grip on tarmac not to confident, but off road excellent mud or dry :D
uturntony

Post by uturntony »

chunky butt wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 pm EO7'S. ...great tyre for wear, front and back. ...BUT....if you get a puncture in the rear, be prepared for lot of heartache. Took four of us all experienced, and tyre was warm, plus a sidestand levering just to brake bead :x don't know if you'd do it alone. Fronts were easy to change, wet grip on tarmac not to confident, but off road excellent mud or dry :D
TBH. i don't find any more difficulty breaking the bead on an E07 than other tyres i have used including K60's, Tourances et al.
Not easy by the roadside i admit. I guess yours was tubed; i have never used a tube so, no experience of them as i always use
tubeless and if i get a puncture i use the sticky strings repair so, (hopefully) no need to remove the tyre.

Return to “TECHNICAL”