Using Tyre Slime

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
pinball1008

Using Tyre Slime

Post by pinball1008 »

I'll apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.
I've just put new tyres and tubes on the bike ready for a trip at the weekend. Having read on here some while ago about tyre slime, I thought I might give it a go. However, although it'll be mainly off road, but I've around 150miles on the road at each end and I will need to play around with the tyre pressures. Is this an issues? I understand that the slime will seal small punctures, but what happens if you're letting air out through the valve?
Not all those wandering are lost
Dansin

Re: Using Tyre Slime

Post by Dansin »

Centrifugal force spreads to the outside wall of the tyre. I’ve never had an issue with changing pressures.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Just make sure you have the valve down near the bottom so the slime doesn't settle into the valve when stopped.
How have you found it for balance/vibration? I added some Oko to my wifes AT and now she says there is a slight vibration that wasn't there before.

Steve
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Bowber, did you mean have the valve at the top when you stop?
I haven't been out on it yet as I'm waiting on a replacement silencer having blown a hole in the existing one :oops: Once I've had a good run on it, I'll report back. Although, as I've also added a rim lock, if I do notice any vibration, it could be that.
Not all those wandering are lost
bowber

Post by bowber »

No, if the valve is at the top any slime dripping of the inner tube outer surface will also drip into the valve stem, down near the bottom it would drip out of the valve stem.

Steve
herman

Post by herman »

I did not notice any ill effects on the S10 (tubeless) in the last 5k miles with it in the front.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Used in my DRZ for last 3000 km, no problems at all with balance, changing pressure etc....no punctures either !

Return to “TECHNICAL”