UK supplier for Suzuki DR650 Carb kit??

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
boboneleg

Re: UK supplier for Suzuki DR650 Carb kit??

Post by boboneleg »

If you don't get any joy with the rebuild kit and want to go the way of fitting an unmolested airbox I may have one that I would sell.
one-legged adventurer
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Mighty kind of you bud I shall have a bash at jetting first and see how it runs, I had a piece of dense foam so I laid that across the hole with a smaller inlet cut in it about 3 in/sq . It ran better at low speed off the choke but started struggling for air at anything over 40 so I made it a tad bigger and it ran much better. This said its still farting and jerky on deceleration so looks like the carb does need a coat of looking at.
Adjusting the fuel mix screw doesn't seem to make any difference till its almost all the way in too. One of the videos I watched suggested this is an indication of an oversized jet.
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Andy, your mixture screw is only going to affect the idle and starting, if you go on the DR forum there are pages of info on carb settings for the stock carb and the variants. Allens performance are your friend in the U.K. they stock everything you will need and are pretty reliable on delivery.

Sarge
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Cheers sarge as I mentioned I have cleaned the carb out and its running way better,still farting a tad on deceleration but looks like I will have to sort the Clutch out to test more thoroughly.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Andi_Archer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:54 pm Cheers sarge as I mentioned I have cleaned the carb out and its running way better,still farting a tad on deceleration but looks like I will have to sort the Clutch out to test more thoroughly.
If it is popping on deceleration and the airbox has been hacked about i would suspect a lean condition on the pilot jet/main jet/needle and needle jet but if the previous owner has had a go at re-jetting he could have gone too rich also as sometimes lean and rich conditions can be confusing.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Hi Bud
I seem to have the correct size jets in for the mod according to the relavent posts on the subject, so I may swap the jets and needle out with new parts and look at the clip height to see if its makes a difference.There is a mention of cutting the spring but opposing thoughts on if it actually improves performance or not.

New Springs for the clutch on order I will try cleaning the plates and fresh OIl as it looks rather black in colour.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Hi,i cut a couple of coils off the spring above the piston of a CV carb fitted to mt Kawasaki KLX300. This was a recognized modification and it seemed to improve throttle response as the piston rose quicker. The CV carb piston rises according to vacuum and how much air the engine requires . I also drilled out the vacuum port to suit the modification. I actually think this richened up the midrange. I often wondered how owners clubs/forums believed they could make a better job than the might of a Japanese manufacturer but on this occasion it did work as the bike was set up very lean to pass the strict emission regulations.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Just an additional query why does the engine breather hose come up under the petrol tank, clip to a 90 degree bend then go back down to the air filter box?
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1996.JPG (218.41 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
It's the black hose under the frame support
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Andi_Archer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:41 am Just an additional query why does the engine breather hose come up under the petrol tank, clip to a 90 degree bend then go back down to the air filter box?IMG_1996.JPG
It's the black hose under the frame support
I guess its because there wasn't room without putting a bend in the pipe, it does need to breath properly ??
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

So daft as it may seem why not go straight to the air box?

Return to “TECHNICAL”