Urgent - locked KTM pannier

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Ming

Urgent - locked KTM pannier

Post by Ming »

Just got to the Picos for a 10 day holiday and I can't get the right hand pannier on my ktm 1190 adventure to open. It was fine earlier but the lock feels really "loose" when you put the key in. Managed to get it back on the bike but can't get into it and only have basic stuff for the overnight stay on the ferry in my top box.
Do you reckon I should head to a ktm dealer or try to find a locksmith? I've had a search on Google but the nearest is back in Santander over 2 hours away. Anyone live down this way that knows of a closer one to Potes?
Tourider

Re: Urgent - locked KTM pannier

Post by Tourider »

I used to have this problem now and again with a Harley Road King, it normally cleared up by starting the bike and letting the vibrations do their thing .
Ming

Post by Ming »

Think it'll take more than a few vibrations to sort this out. The catch at the rear of the pannier is really stiff and to be honest it feels like something has become detached between the lock and the rear of the pannier. But there's also no resistance when turning the key to unlock the box when attached to the bike so I can't even open it and get the stuff out.
These are the official ktm panniers - would they be covered under the existing warranty?
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Id suggest the latch is not springing back in place try flooding the lock with something like WD40 or a light Oil.See if this video helps you understand the mechanism
Ming

Post by Ming »

Thanks for the link bud, I found that earlier and explains why it's fecked! Found a very helpful bike shop today and he phoned a ktm dealer for me and found it's pretty common with these ktm cases, especially the early ones. Mine's a 2013 bike but registered in 2015 and has 3 years warranty but it's unclear whether the panniers are covered even though they're genuine parts. The catch at the side of the pannier is shut solid as well and he thinks something has come adrift at the bottom of the lock barrel where there is an assembly of various crappy bits of plastic. Will leave it in place soaked in wd40 overnight and if that doesn't work I'll leave it on and take it to my ktm dealer once home
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Can you still get at your clothes?
If not then look for a big store (like Boots in the UK) probably only find one in Santander or Bilbao. Buy paper disposable undies, usually found in baby/new mum section. They take up little room, you wear once and throw them away. Where space rather than weight is an issue they are perfect.
Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Ming

Post by Ming »

Can't get into the pannier without drilling the lock which I'll let my ktm dealer do when I return. There's a chance it will be covered under warranty as they were bought with the bike which is covered until next March. I can get by with what I've got in the topbox and have bought another t shirt and some undies. Biggest problem is my goretex gloves are inside and it pissed down today so my summer vented gloves are on the radiator now hoping to get them dry for tomorrow. If not I have some workshop gloves to go under them.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Looking at the original video @ 6:13 you may be able to use a long hooked piece of wire slid under the top aluminium section and pull the latch back to release the handle if the latching piece has fallen off.

On another video this comment seems quite relevant to the cause

A screw on the back of the lock tumbler had fallen off rendering the lock inoperable.
After I reinstalling the screw on the lock (using some Loctite on the screw this time)everything worked fine again.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

interestingly the lock broke on my Triumph pannier--when in France last week--and with it locked!--something connecting the lock barrel to the complex mechanism has failed--its a big ask to get that key to turn all that bloody mechanism. Anyway, after looking at the other one I forced a knife blade down the handle gap and sprung it. To get at the mechanism all the interior liner has to be de rivetted--and thats just the start! I've further modified the "gap" so that I can spring it with a blade type implement much easier. You have to release the locking on handle now to reveal the lid catch--and that can be slid across to open-no key required!!!. They are over complicated and basically small and a crap design--just look cool!. With the price of a new pannier I'll live with the hand-draulic method and try my Oxford expandables or my Ortliebs to see if thats a better option.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Quick update: got back on Thursday evening after having to get by with the pannier still locked.

Dropped the bike down to the dealer on Friday and they sussed early on it was the base of the cylinder having come adrift They replaced the whole lock and matched it to the existing key. Charged me just under £60 as KTM would only offer warranty cover on their aftermarket parts for 12 months even though the bike is covered for 36 months.

Bit pee'd off but can't see what else I could have done as it would have cost at least that if I'd had it done in Spain plus there would have been the hassle with time off the road. Told them the other pannier wasn't the best at closing but as it wasn't broke they couldn't do anything to make it easier to close the door without charging me.

Also had an EDS failure warning on the last day when the rear wouldn't adjust from solo to 2 plus luggage. Rode 15 miles and stopped for a coffee - turned it back on after and all was well. The dealer plugged it in and cleared the fault code but said all software updates had been done so there was nothing else they could do. On a separate note, I've been having irregular wear on the rear tyre where 80% of the centre tread had 3-4mm left and the remaining 20% was down to the wear bars. Thought it might have been a faulty tyre so put another standard fit Conti TA2 and that did the same thing. Changed makes now to Avon Trailriders and asked the dealer to check the wheel for damage/distortion. No damage, rim not buckled, tyre seated on the rim okay. Balanced the wheel again even though we'd done it when changing the tyre and it was correct but there was a heck of a lot of balance weight needed - way more than I would have expected. Feels fine on the bike but then the last 2 tyres felt fine - they just didn't wear evenly.

As there was nothing untoward to report to KTM I'd have to pay if I wanted them to look further into what's causing the problem.

Apparently KTM have been tightening up on their warranty claims in the last year and won't pay for anything that's normally been negotiable.

Return to “TECHNICAL”