a stupid question I know....

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Nick_2112

Re: a stupid question I know....

Post by Nick_2112 »

Oop North John wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:35 am
Nick_2112 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 pm The fuse in my cig lighter socket was 5A but it blows when a compressor is used to do the tyres. Can't be sure without checking but I changed it to 10 or maybe 15A fuse. Now the compressor works fine every time.
Except now the cable to / from the socket might be the fuse, and if you overload it then it's going to get interesting! If the compressor only pulls 6 amps then life will be happy, because it works and the overload on the cable isn't that great.

In my younger days whilst helping someone do some electric welding, the buildings fuse kept tripping, so we added more and more strands of locking wire till it didn't burn up and disappear. Thankfully we go away with it, hopefully you will as well.
Oop North John thanks for your input, I am not an expert on electics, amps, volts etc. but the cig socket is an optimate SAE76 one, the wire guage is I would guess 14 guage so prety heavy. Is this set up i'm using not suitable? the fuse to the cig lighter socket on my car is 15A. With the 5A fuse on the bike it blows with the compressor, is the compressor (this one not really for use on the bike? Advice appreciated.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I've got a similar compressor but branded RAC.My bike doesn't have a 12 volt socket so I just cut off the plug and fitted crocodile clips.Clip It straight to the battery.Probably not recommend but it has worked for me for years.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

I'm no electrical expert, but have seen what happens to wire when connected directly across a battery :lol:

So I googled fuse rating for 14 gauge wire and this site came up: http://bdfuses.com/fusesnwires.php which says up to a 15 amp fuse for 14 gauge wire. Using the lowest rating fuse that works helps protect the wiring from short circuits.
Nick_2112

Post by Nick_2112 »

Thanks, the cable on optimate leads that connect to the battery are usually prety sturdy wire, I check pressures once a week because I find inner tubes lose air faster than tubeless. I mostly use a pushbike pump does it easily, but if i'm feeling lazy I occasionally use the compressor.

I didn't think too much about it, but I have a buddy who is an elec wizz, I will run it by him. It's great how you can learn even on something simple :D

Return to “TECHNICAL”