Garmin Montana

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
captinktm

Garmin Montana

Post by captinktm »

Hi just back from two long trips, one to Kazakhstan and the other Macedonia, both extremely hot. My Garmin Montana is mounted on the upper dash, in the screen recess of my Ktm 950 adventure. It's a great bit of kit and has served me well, but is suffering from the heat. To the point where the screen does not respond to touch. If left in the heat/sun then it starts doing the funky chicken, and as to be switched off, battery removed and start again, which does not always work, unless left for some time to cool down. So it's obvious that it's heat/direct sun light which is causing the problem what I could do with is ways of solving it. Thanks in advance for your help.
~ACP~

Re: Garmin Montana

Post by ~ACP~ »

I have heard of this before. Does it have a screen protector on? These seem to exacerbate the problem. But essentially, they don't like the direct sunlight. Not a lot you can do 'cept fashion a shade from cardboard etc :(
cjt120476

Post by cjt120476 »

Or perhaps a small CPU fan rubber banded to the back. When it's too hot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-2-Pin- ... SwuLZY2jnO
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Just upgrading to a Montana after my 550 zumo , had 52°c in the Western Sahara and the yes the touch screen was the same but they have a manual back button so i had no problems
WillS

Post by WillS »

Had the same problem with overheating on my Montana 650t, normally when travelling it's ok, but leave it in the direct sun for a few minutes and the screen fails with the touch.
Normally just let it cool down and it's ok. Now always try and remove it if stopping for more than a minute or two.
I have the screen protector on, but prefer to keep it on.
But a great GPS, so ok to live with the problem.
I haven't heard of any solution.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

No probs with mine even with pif in sahara at 50*c.....still don't know how it works fully though...but screen functioned fine....
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Thanks for those idea's guys, I was thinking of drilling holes in the screen, or a small louvre which could direct the air onto the screen. I will also make a cover that I can flip down.

Return to “TECHNICAL”