Forks and bolts ...

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mikekitts81

Forks and bolts ...

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Probably a daft question but iam gonna ask it anyways .... I tapped the right side of my forks and used to helicoils went perfect I then drilled and tapped the left side but the hole on the inside snapped the tap and still as the snapped tap in yes it snapped gutted I am but hey it was my first time using taps and helicoils and the first 2 attempts went fine ... the tap is about a few mill down inside the hole I can't for love no money get the thing out I've tryed everything drilling is impossible I been and bought loads of new bits the only one I've not touched are carbide as iam in my garage and not in a workshop ...my question is ...if I tap the other side and put a bolt in ...would you think it would be OK to have three bolts and just jb weld the tap in as the tap is holding the thread together anyway and I can tap the axle through with a little hit of the rubber mallet the bolts on the left hold the spindle in and the right side is the side that the nut and washer hold the spindle in place on the forks stopping it from sliding out... so iam a being stupid and dangerous if I do this or would one say it would be o.k the bike is purely for green laning and bashing about.. O.k and the odd bimble to the shop and gym when wife's in car but nothing else ... Image

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Mikekitts81 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
WIBO

Re: Forks and bolts ...

Post by WIBO »

Hi Mike

Mike54 should be along anytime soon to bend over backwards to help in any way he can, he's well thought of and known on these forums for doing just that, it's just the kind of guy he is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Until then, if it were I I'd ride it on three.......if your axle has a nut on the RHS off the pic, it'll be compressing the forks to the spacers anyway...... But how will it work when you need to take the axle out again next time?

Is it sliding out as it is? As an extra point if you were worried that the forks weren't grabbing the axle enough a good rough sand paper on the alloy should be enough to make it grip it with one.

If you were out greenmailing an threaded one after taking the wheel off after a puncture you'd ride home on three, no doubt with no ill affect?

Those bolts as you know are nip up and an eighth of a turn so they're relying on soft alloy against hard steel to get that grip...nev er needed to be that tight.

:D
Last edited by WIBO on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

True imo they are suppose to be 15nm which iam thinking they are called PINCH tight cause they only have to be pinch tight which I'd say 15nm is I think .... the left bolt still pinchs and with a steel helicoil in I could possible go a bit tighter than normally than I would go just going into the fork itself ... as you stated the washer and nut hold it into place to stop it coming off and iam pinch bolts are merely there to stop the axle spinning around and allow the bearings to do the job instead in my eyes so the axle doesn't grind the fork leg and make the holes bigger over time then promoting play on the front wheel ... but I am new to this hence the reason for pecking everyone's head and asking ... the tap is already in side the thread and as I said snapped a few millimetres in so the jb weld would really only be there to cap of the tap to make sure it stays in and doesn't play loose while the bolt on the side of it will help pinch it tight ... I have been in touch with a guy from grahams motorcycles who deals with a lot of mz parts and he is looking into a replacement left slider so I can change it but parts are hard to come by for these machines now as they are many years out of production ... and are hard to come by.. Before buying the enduro wheels I was looking at changing out the forks to husaberg 501 or wr400 as on another forum states they are a easy change and fit quite well but now I've found a pair of enduro wheels for it id be a bit gutted buying the wheels and spending hundreds to find now I don't need them as iam gonna have to change out the forks anyway ... but iam hoping grahams can help out so I can just change the left slider ...right in the pic and then it would only be a temporary fix ...
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

You'll need one of these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walton-10253- ... SwhQhYyRvR

Not suggesting you buy this one, just to give you the info.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
bowber

Post by bowber »

If needs be you could get the broken tap spark eroded out and start again.
I've broken out HSS taps before but it's hard work and you usually end up with a damaged area.

Steve
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

I'm just going to throw a spanner in the works here . You know the part of the forks you have helicoiled, is it the first bit or the second bit after the split that the bolt goes into. The helicoil should be in the deeper part beyond the split , not the first close to where the head of the bolt goes.......
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

The tool that TreadTrader showed should work, I was in a similar situation recently and made a tool using a small socket which I cut and dremelled to fit the 2 flutes of the embedded tap, it took me about half an hour to make as it's fiddly working at that small size, but worth it
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

steve the grease wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm I'm just going to throw a spanner in the works here . You know the part of the forks you have helicoiled, is it the first bit or the second bit after the split that the bolt goes into. The helicoil should be in the deeper part beyond the split , not the first close to where the head of the bolt goes.......
Good point, it does look as if he has put them in the outer half..you havn't have you mike?
Last edited by EarthWorm on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

steve the grease wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm I'm just going to throw a spanner in the works here . You know the part of the forks you have helicoiled, is it the first bit or the second bit after the split that the bolt goes into. The helicoil should be in the deeper part beyond the split , not the first close to where the head of the bolt goes.......
Good point, it does look as if he has put them in the outer half..you havn't have you mike?

Actually thinking about it, with that style of clamp you wouldnt be able to put an insert into the inner portion of the clamp without drilling a larger clearance hole in the outer part, so the whole helecoil effort is a bit of a non=starter...or am I missunderstanding?
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

steve the grease wrote:I'm just going to throw a spanner in the works here . You know the part of the forks you have helicoiled, is it the first bit or the second bit after the split that the bolt goes into. The helicoil should be in the deeper part beyond the split , not the first close to where the head of the bolt goes.......
The helicoils are in the deepest part of the fork right at the back so they in the deeper bit :)

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

Return to “TECHNICAL”