690 enduro tyres......yawn?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
DavidS

Re: 690 enduro tyres......yawn?

Post by DavidS »

I have decided on tbe tried and tested solution of another MT21.
I know what they are like (if interesting on wet grass at a horse trial today) and any change would be an expensive risk.
Better the devil you know.....at least for now.

Many thanks for all the replies chaps :D
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I find the problem with the MT21 is the knobs round off badly and whilst the front seems to continue to grip the rear is finished whenabout half worn - especiall on wet grass!

The E09 used to be quite a bit cheaper than the MT21 but seem to have shot up in price, perhaps due to popularity.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Agreed they are a little bit rounded but I don't know what use the previous owner gave it. I suspect a high road percentage and I don't know how old they are. Inhave out on about 800 to 1000 miles I suppose.
The ultra agressive 754 xtremes on my old 400EXC used to slide on grass as well so I suspect it's really just a grass thing, not a tyre one. Having more tread than gap just makes embarrassment more inevitable.
It was gripping on wide turns prefectly well yesterday so I'm not too worried. Probably because the centre is squared off now and the edges in reasonably decent nick.
Whatever I get needs to be as dual use as I can make it as changing tyres or wheels would become tedious and I would never have the right ones fitted anyway.

I am no riding god, more a bimbler with aspirations of not getting hurt so I won't be taking it on enduros or Romanics :D
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
giles

Post by giles »

Just done the Coast to Coast Pyrenees and back,Off Rd/Road 70/30 % on a 690 Enduro R,loaded with camping gear,
My Mitas Rear MC 23 Rockrider was done in after 1352 Mls
Mike..
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

As I am about to order the MT21, I thought it best to get a spare tube - currently a standard tube with slime and it seems a reasonable idea to go the same route or maybe an HD tube + slime as I won't be fitting the damn thing.

However, the previous owner didn't have a rim lock fitted.
This doesn't seem over sensible bearing in mind the type of use (road and trail) and the reasonably decent bhp (64) compared to EXC type power.

Thoughts please?
Presumably it can't hurt. I won't be doing roadside puncture repairs - can of foam if slime doesn't work or use the recovery card. Don't bother trying to talk me out of it ;)
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
bowber

Post by bowber »

This is my opinion only and I'm sure plenty of other people will disagree.

For trail riding and general NON competition off road use don't bother with rim locks just keep your tyre pressure above 20psi.
I also hate HD tubes and don't use them, I always keep my tyre pressures high (above 20psi) and have not had a pinch puncture yet despite bending rims from hard hits on rock with both my 950 Adv and EXC's, you could see the tube on my EXC after hitting a sharp edged rock but I still didn't get a puncture.
HD tubes make the wheels weigh more and are a pain to change, same with the rim locks.

Steve
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

bowber wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 am This is my opinion only and I'm sure plenty of other people will disagree.

For trail riding and general NON competition off road use don't bother with rim locks just keep your tyre pressure above 20psi.
I also hate HD tubes and don't use them, I always keep my tyre pressures high (above 20psi) and have not had a pinch puncture yet despite bending rims from hard hits on rock with both my 950 Adv and EXC's, you could see the tube on my EXC after hitting a sharp edged rock but I still didn't get a puncture.
HD tubes make the wheels weigh more and are a pain to change, same with the rim locks.

Steve
Thanks Steve
My line of thinking but my only reservation is that I have historically liked 15 psi for winter slurry grip but happy to give 20 a go.

My original grip and rideability problems were down to the bike coming to me with a rigid 28mm of sag instead of 80, which meant the back end just hopped everywhere and was terrible to ride off road.
I have been on 15 psi for the last 3 months or so and no visible tyre creep.
I survived a rocky day in north Wales in May with no known ill effects. I am not one for speedy wheel/rock interface situations though :lol:
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
bowber

Post by bowber »

I think their quite stiff on the side wall so 15psi probably works, I tend to hit things at speed so I like to keep higher pressures, never had a problem with grip in mud or bogs either but most of my trail riding has been on rocky ground.

Steve
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Tubliss.... Then run whatever pressure you want.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I had thought of that but they don't go big enough on the rim width.
Mike Irving tried it on his and has ditched it.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “TECHNICAL”