Bmw f800gs adventure suspension

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
jaz1259

Bmw f800gs adventure suspension

Post by jaz1259 »

Quick message to see what everyone else have done.
I bought the bike and rode it down to the stella this year. Really like the bike but the suspension is terrible. The front forks especially.
Ive seen some upgardes on the net but wondered what people on here had done.
hornet

Re: Bmw f800gs adventure suspension

Post by hornet »

Hello mate
Terrible as in soft and spongy ? with a lot of dive under braking ? Vague feeling ?
The general consensus seems to be Hyperpro replacement springs that come with 10w oil rather than 7.5. I did mine on the say so of many others. I've seen that replacement cartridges are available too and will probably go down that route next as the change to mine has made only a slight improvement.
If you do change springs GB did an excellent write up on how to do the change/
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
jaz1259

Post by jaz1259 »

Soft spongy huge dive under braking vague feeling. That is a brilliant explanation.
Ive seen the cartridge replacements but they are 450 quid for the cheapest version.
You you have done the hyperpro spring change and there isnt much difference? Im better going the full hog
hornet

Post by hornet »

Plenty of others have been happy with the change. But my next step is to reduce the air gap. hyperpro recommend 120 mm which is how I set mine up, but I have a mate whos running at 90 mm so i'll see what difference heading that way makes first. if you do a quick search on adv rider plenty of talk about cartridges but yup quite a cost
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

Fitted HyperPro front and rear to mine .. made a big difference (thumbs)
jaz1259

Post by jaz1259 »

Mine has the adjustable rear shock, with the 3 modes sport normal or comfort. Quite frankly i think this is garbage and doesnt really do anything. Does yours have this and is it still possible to replace that spring
hornet

Post by hornet »

I'm on a standard 2013 bike but hyperpro do the rear spring too more progressive but it seems wilbers make a whole shock unit that does a really good some here have done that.
Mike
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

Jaz1259 .. yes its still possible to change the spring on the ESA model . No problem :)
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

jaz1259 wrote:Soft spongy huge dive under braking vague feeling. That is a brilliant explanation.
Ive seen the cartridge replacements but they are 450 quid for the cheapest version.

You you have done the hyperpro spring change and there isnt much difference? Im better going the full hog
Only got round to changing to Hyperpro front springs last year - should have done it the day I bought it - BIG difference (thumbs)
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

i have hyperpro rear shock and hyperpro springs up front on mine firms the bike up a fair bit,mine is just standard suspension.

Return to “TECHNICAL”