Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
User avatar
thebiggestjolly
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:32 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by thebiggestjolly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi all, after doing some research I've read similar posts, but wondered if anyone has any suggestions.

I was out on the bike (2004 Honda XL650 Transalp v4) this weekend, round Snowdonia, fully loaded with panniers and camping gear, and I found that at high revs, especially if I was accelerating aggressively (overtaking, uphill) especially in lower gears the revs would go up but it didn't feel like I was getting power, but it would correct itself once I shifted up into higher gear, or dropped revs. It wasn't happening every time, but often enough to loose confidence in overtaking.

Thinking it was clutch related, maybe slipping a little, we tweaked the adjuster on the lever and it seemed to help, although didn't solve it entirely. I'm off in a couple weeks on 3 week trip with the same gear around Switzerland/South France and want to make sure it is OK before then. It runs fine on my daily commute, but then I'm not working it as hard, I've not since managed to recreate it now that my panniers and gear are off again.

I have recently done an oil change, and used Silkolene Pro 4 fully synthetic. I've seen some people online suggesting that fully synthetic oil can cause clutch slip, but I'm not sure if thats the issue. The oil is designed for motorcycles after all, not car oil with extra additives.

I spoke to Honda who suggested it was probably the clutch on the way out, but said the only way to check is to open it up, and if its opened up you might as well swap everything out.

First step would it be to check clutch is currently set up correctly, lever adjuster and adjuster on outside of engine. I have had a look but I don't really know what I'm looking for so it could just be my incompetence.

If that seems fine, then open it up and replace all the consumable parts? What are the parts that would need replaced? Looking at the clutch drawings, there's a lot of parts and I don't know which bits need replaced. Just friction plates and springs? There's a lot of different plates so I'm not sure. Honda quoted about £150 for plates and springs and same again for labour, about £320 total.

I'd also like to swap out the clutch cable as I know that's pretty cheap and easy and I don't know the history of the bike, didn't get service history with it, despite promise I would. :angry:

As much as I will, in time, learn to do more on the bike myself, I'm pretty new to all this and would rather pay someone to sort it out, especially before going abroad for a decent length trip.

Just wondered if anyone has had similar issues or if anyone has any opinions.

Cheers
Jolly
Attachments
clutchparts.jpg
clutchparts.jpg (159.96 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
User avatar
92kk k100lt 193214
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm
Location: Ireland Cork
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:22 pm

You are going on a hard ride, hills etc.
I would bite bullet and do the clutch friction plates and probably springs because of lack of history if it was my bike and feel thankful it came up a few weeks before and not on the way.
Those are really classic signs of clutch on way out unless it was a case of cable with no free play or an oil issue. Oils can do this too but if it was motorcycle oil then it shouldn't.
Or if your timescale while travelling permits, buy the parts and bring them with you and that way you are well covered for any problem. I tend to have leisurely holidays rather than hectic travel and miles every day and an early evening stop would do a clutch on most straightforward bikes. If its not a job you can easily do yourself most certainly in France you will get some bike help without much asking.
1992 K100LT since June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT since July 2013 36,000 miles now going on 90,000 miles.
1997 K1100LT SE since Oct 2017 59,000 miles now 103,500 miles
1983 K100RS 29,000 since 2019 miles now 36,400 miles and parked in Spain.

catcitrus
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 230 times

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by catcitrus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:31 pm

I've never had to replace a clutch--but lack of free play on my Tiger 1050 caused it to slip a bit--The clutch requires a big hand to pull it far enough to disengage--and I've got small hands so had some kinked levers resulting in a closer lever to the bar. Once a bit of free play was introduced it was fine.(but then finding neutral was difficult)

halfpint
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:46 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by halfpint » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 pm

was it doing it before the oil change ? semi is better for non slip about £80 in parts and a few hours in the shed. simple fix and you will learn a bit about your bike . there is a guide on you tube ....

User avatar
thebiggestjolly
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:32 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by thebiggestjolly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:34 pm

halfpint wrote:was it doing it before the oil change ? semi is better for non slip about £80 in parts and a few hours in the shed. simple fix and you will learn a bit about your bike . there is a guide on you tube ....
Not that I can remember, but it was never as loaded, or working as hard. My daily commute is in London, so slow. Certainly never overtaking at A road speeds.

I don't have much time off between now and my big trip, and I'm worried about heading off with a self serviced clutch! I'd rather have someone else do it this time. Plus to get in to it I've got to remove exhaust too. I'll check out the video and read up, but likely to get someone else to do it this time. Cheers.

Tramp
Posts: 7378
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 am
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by Tramp » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm

I always use diesel engine oil never fully synthetic...also check adjustmemt on both ends of cable...that and a oil change should sort it...alps regularly do 60k plus on clutches...unless your a animal ...all honda dealer wants is.money..

User avatar
thebiggestjolly
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:32 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by thebiggestjolly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 pm

catcitrus wrote:I've never had to replace a clutch--but lack of free play on my Tiger 1050 caused it to slip a bit--The clutch requires a big hand to pull it far enough to disengage--and I've got small hands so had some kinked levers resulting in a closer lever to the bar. Once a bit of free play was introduced it was fine.(but then finding neutral was difficult)
First thing I'll try tomorrow is playing around with adjustment. See if that helps. Difficult to check easily tho without loading the bike up and finding some big hills again!

User avatar
thebiggestjolly
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:32 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by thebiggestjolly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Tramp wrote:I always use diesel engine oil never fully synthetic...also check adjustmemt on both ends of cable...that and a oil change should sort it...alps regularly do 60k plus on clutches...unless your a animal ...all honda dealer wants is.money..
Thats what I'm worried about. I'm pretty easy on it, and it had less than 15k on it when i got it. But i don't know how it was treated before. Check adjustments and change oil. Then try again I guess. Cheers.

User avatar
thebiggestjolly
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:32 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by thebiggestjolly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:40 pm

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:You are going on a hard ride, hills etc.

I would bite bullet and do the clutch friction plates and probably springs because of lack of history if it was my bike and feel thankful it came up a few weeks before and not on the way.

Those are really classic signs of clutch on way out unless it was a case of cable with no free play or an oil issue. Oils can do this too but if it was motorcycle oil then it shouldn't.

Or if your timescale while travelling permits, buy the parts and bring them with you and that way you are well covered for any problem. I tend to have leisurely holidays rather than hectic travel and miles every day and an early evening stop would do a clutch on most straightforward bikes. If its not a job you can easily do yourself most certainly in France you will get some bike help without much asking.
Not something I'd be confident doing yet, especially not on the road. Wll try some adjustments and oil change then try again! I'm likely to do it tho, just for my peace of mind. Cheers

catcitrus
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 230 times

Re: Transalp 650 clutch slip(?) at high revs

Post by catcitrus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Run it in third or 4th, point it at an incline, and give it some beans--if the clutch is going to slip it will then.

Post Reply

Return to “TECHNICAL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chunky butt, SHarper and 80 guests