The mythical low maintenance trail bike.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ChasF

The mythical low maintenance trail bike.

Post by ChasF »

I used to have a KTM 530 EXC, great bike but, apart from it being far more capable than its rider, the maintenance schedule always seemed to be backing up so I changed it for a 690 with its relatively long service interval. After 8 years and 25000 kms (less than 2k on tarmac) on the 690 it's become clear that the frequency of oil changes and valve checks is but a tiny part of trail bike maintenance. The 690 is currently on its 5th or sixth set of brake pad, 4th set of wheel bearings, 3rd rear disc, steering head bearings, rear suspnsion bearings and a clutch. Not to mention all the oil changes, valve checks and tyres.
I'm currently re-roadifying the 690 and planning that it has an easier life but the maintenance pressure will now be on the other trail bikes I own.
Your tips for reducing maintenance greatly appreciated - please don't suggest that I don't pressure wash the bikes, because I don't
micksea

Re: The mythical lowmaintenance trail bike.

Post by micksea »

Parts replacement does seem to be on the high side.do you ride in wet muddy conditions a lot? Who decides that parts need replacing,you or a dealer?
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

It's all wet and muddy. I don't ever trust a dealer to do a first service let alone regular maintenance.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Bikes used offroad, be it Trails/Trials/Moto-X or Enduro need frequent and regualar maintenance, either the replace worn out parts or for preventative maintenance
.....the end :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
micksea

Post by micksea »

Use marine grease on the bearings , it doesn't get washed away as easily.regrease more regularly,it's a pain but saves replacing parts.keep the brake calipers clean to stop them dragging,again regrease the pins more often.maybe try aftermarket discs and pads.softer pads will make the discs last longer but may not last as long.are the discs wearing thin or warping?
micksea

Post by micksea »

johnnyboxer wrote:Bikes used offroad, be it Trails/Trials/Moto-X or Enduro need frequent and regualar maintenance, either the replace worn out parts or for preventative maintenance

.....the end :whistle:
This....but without knowing the OP it's hard to know how much he does
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

I'd say you'd got away pretty lightly with that list of work for that mileage of dirt riding, doesn't seem excessive to me.

Sorry, don't have any magic tips for reducing maintenance costs, I figure it goes with the territory, ride a bike in muck all the time and stuff is going to wear.
I justify it to myself by thinking of the fuel I'm not burning compared to high speed blasts on a road bike. Personally I get plenty of fun out of 80-100 km in the dirt for 8 euros of fuel :)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

As customers have demanded 'lighter' motorcycle designers have sacrificed durability.
My old DR350S used to get through wheel bearing and brake pads at a fair old rate (it was ridden almost every week), but changing to better wheel bearings (SKF) was a lower-cost alternative than the cheapo ones that I used once or twice.
But, the only rear suspension bearing I ever changed was the one without a grease nipple: the others all used to get a nip of grease after it had been washed after every ride.
Remember that trail riding puts our bikes in what an engineer would call an 'arduous operational environment'. If they were built like tractors they could survive in it for years. But they would be very heavy. They are light, so you have to regard the parts you mention as 'consumables'.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Get a C90..... it'll go most places and the parts are very cheap :)
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
micksea

Post by micksea »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:As customers have demanded 'lighter' motorcycle designers have sacrificed durability.

My old DR350S used to get through wheel bearing and brake pads at a fair old rate (it was ridden almost every week), but changing to better wheel bearings (SKF) was a lower-cost alternative than the cheapo ones that I used once or twice.

But, the only rear suspension bearing I ever changed was the one without a grease nipple: the others all used to get a nip of grease after it had been washed after every ride.

Remember that trail riding puts our bikes in what an engineer would call an 'arduous operational environment'. If they were built like tractors they could survive in it for years. But they would be very heavy. They are light, so you have to regard the parts you mention as 'consumables'.
HAve to agree and with the previous post stating that the bike does more off road miles than most.I'd be happy with the cost and maintenance required if I had the time and trails to do that much off roading

Return to “TECHNICAL”