Tyre recommendations for KTM 1190 Adv on road only

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
BobH

Re: Tyre recommendations for KTM 1190 Adv on road only

Post by BobH »

Mine came with a set of Mitas E09 Dakar on the bike and the original Conti's as spare. The Mitas blocks started to brake up relatively quickly so swapped to the Conti's. Brilliant for the 1190 on road, tons of confidence fully loaded and pushed to the edge in the Pyrenees. Will be replacing soon with same.
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

Asterix41 wrote:Thanks, yes have also been advised that you need a KTM dealer to fit these because of the pressure sensors. I've completely taken this set for granted and had forgot they were bike tyres not car tyres, but it was dull motorway miles. Best value tyres I have ever owned
I'm not sure they need to be fitted by KTM, just that the are vulnerable. I would have had mine fitted by my dealer as my service was due around the same time, but they wouldn't give me a firm price on the tyres only a ball-park of about £280(!) nor price-match my tyre fitters fixed price of £234. I will be trying a different dealer for next service as there was something else I wasn't pleased about, but that's a different story :laugh:

This vulnerability does sit in the back of my mind - you never know when you'll get a puncture and need to have it sorted in the middle of nowhere by some non-English speaking spanner-monkey, to only be then stranded if they disturb it. Not great for a go-anywhere adventure bike.

I wish changing to a pair of cast wheels was a cheaper option than it is :dry:

I will probably go back to the Conti's next time I reckon.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I'm running the PR4 TRAIL on my 2008 GSA. I do a bit of touring, and 10,000+ of motorway miles a year, usually fully loaded, and I'm not a little lad.
So, big boy, big baggage and big bike.... = averaging 4,500 miles on my PR4's then squaring off a lot.
(To be expected really, its asking a lot!)
They're a good tyre - but I'm looking for more mileage really.
I appreciate that the Trail isn't the best choice - I think the PR4 GT variant is the next thing to try its a more heavy road use variant of the PR4.
But, unless I'm much mistaken - I don't seem to be able to find the PR4 GT in a size to fit my 2008 GSA.
Anyone else found them anywhere?
(PS: Apologies in advance for any shpelling or gramatical mistakes.) :whistle:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
bowber

Post by bowber »

TA2's, good mileage and good reliable grip.
I had Tourance Next on my 1050 when I got it but they would let go at odd times for no apparent reason, I think the transition from grip to slide was quite rapid on some surfaces.
Now have TA2's and they are miles better, also had them on my 950Adv and they were always reliable in all normal weather conditions.
Steve
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

Philiptigerrice wrote: So, big boy, big baggage and big bike.... = averaging 4,500 miles on my PR4's then squaring off a lot.
(To be expected really, its asking a lot!)

I appreciate that the Trail isn't the best choice - I think the PR4 GT variant is the next thing to try its a more heavy road use variant of the PR4.

But, unless I'm much mistaken - I don't seem to be able to find the PR4 GT in a size to fit my 2008 GSA.

Anyone else found them anywhere?
That's why the Trail Attack's getting such high mileage was such a surprise, a pleasant one mind.

You wont find the PR4 GTs in sizes for your bike, that's what the Trail variant is all about.

Return to “TECHNICAL”