How often do you clean your bike?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

A simple question really prompted by an e mail from the manufacturer of my bike. How often do you clean your bike and what do you remove from the bike in order to facilitate the cleaning process?
For me on road bikes it is usually once a week in winter when there is salt on the roads and when they really need it in the summer. I use a bike to commute on all year round. I cannot very remember cleaning a bike when I have been away on a trip, although the longest I have been away has been about three and a half weeks and about five thousand miles.
For off road bikes it is prior to servicing or when they get absolutely plastered, I just figure they are meant to be ridden off road and therefore can cope with getting muddy, if I clean them they are going to get muddy next time I ride them.
If I have just bought a bike or am going to sell one I do a more deep clean.
I only usually remove hard panniers when leaning bikes.
Cheers Jak
Adrian1965

Re: How often do you clean your bike?

Post by Adrian1965 »

i also commute all year and would say my cleaning schedule would match yours exactly (thumbs)
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

I too ride all year round and in the winter months the brakes are given a cold wash down every night. The bike gets a good wash once a week in the winter if it isn't freezing.
Non salted road months, the machine gets a de-bug wash when required. I use my F8GS for off roading (as much as I can up in Jockland) and wash it down soon after getting it muddy/peaty.
Just had it in bits today after a long weekend off roading down in the Lake district and Yorkshire Dales. Found plenty of flora hidden away and several big dents in the protective stuff the bike wears. Always a good idea to go over yer machine when you've finished off roading - never know whats worked loose or even fallen :whistle:
Steve T
B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I am anal with my bike I too commute all year rain/sun/snow I give it a thorough cleaning once a week service every 3k miles all though Vera looks awful at the minute as i had 11 teeth pulled last Thursday and can't bring myself to clean her but new power commander and front and rear suspension next week means I may have to give her a good old wash tomorrow
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
Speedofile

Post by Speedofile »

I generally commute March to November and clean the R12GS as needed, but about once a month a good clean as this also helps me spot potential problems.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I like this kind of Thread because I like to see what others do. For me I spray on muc off (or similar) then rinse off bugs in the summer, but if I go off road then I will wash the mud off using just the hose not jet wash if it can be helped, as if you leave mud on a bike it can stain plastics etc, due to its mild acidity! I always clean and lube the chain if ive been off road as any shite left on it could turn into a grinding paste and destroy a chain very quickly. Also fairly frequent washing will allow you to go over the bike and check for loose bolts, and missing bits! Oh and I will put a bung in the exhaust to stop water going done the pipe. (thumbs)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

As a non commuter ....
At Home
In summer I hose the bike down after every ride when the bike is cold - even if the bike is spotless and it's sunny & 25c
If the bike has been in the rain it gets a thorough clean - end to end
On Tour - when I get home it is thoroughly cleaned
Dirt Bike - after every ride
So it is spotless and checked lubed
I cannot abide a dirty bike - road or trail/trials
I even polish the engine cases and spokes with Mer car polish
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

I do pretty much the same as you all except when on trip.
On a trip which is usually around 3 weeks I take a day off from riding every 5 or 6 days and wash my kit, wash the bike and check it over properly. Its usually a pleasant way to spend a morning in the sun.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Like me it gets a bath once a year whether it needs it or not :sick:
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Riding all year I try to give it a clean at least once in between the guys jet washing it during a service (the bastards) (thumbs)

Return to “TECHNICAL”