waterproof 12v power socket

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Jayb69

waterproof 12v power socket

Post by Jayb69 »

Anyone got any advice on waterproof 12v socket, decided to join 21st century and get a sat nav. want to wire it to my explorer.
Obviously when not in use they have a cap to keep water out but what about when in use?
Thanks in advance
Tramp

Re: waterproof 12v power socket

Post by Tramp »

The satnav socket bounces out unless a small stick is used, no cap water gets in :whistle: ...hardwire via switch is best way (thumbs) ....
I need and use 12v socket for compressor and mobile phone recharge....
Think hella do a 12v waterproof marine socket....goggle it lol
giles

Post by giles »

i have a Garmin Zumo 660 and a Montana,both used in the rain and have had no problems with them,
Both have long leads,live is fused,hard wired them to the battery..
Mike
biker

Post by biker »

Hi have a look at Towzatronics, they do marine quality 12v sockets had one on for about 15 years and no problems.
I AM THAT I AM
legoman

Post by legoman »

Hang the socket upside down. and secure said plug with string elastic band etc etc... Just make sure it's not I the splash or spray zone
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

For satnav your better of wiring straight to the bikes battery unless you want to use it on a second bike (that's why you want to go down the socket route ).
Had my Garmin sat nav fitted for over five years wired straight to the battery fitted with a in line fuse, never had any problems.
Ian
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

As said hard wire to bike, but that depends on your satnav.
Plenty of marine auxiliary power units will do just place it somewhere where irnis protected from the elements.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

No need to go all the way to the battery a GPS is only a low power load so you can pick up a live feed either from the front brake switch or the headlight/sidelight [if they are permanently lit].Just get a powered mount and remove the GPS unit when parked up or get a lockable mount.
If you want a 12v socket to power mobile phones,air compressor etc then get one with a built in usb connection and mount it near the handlebars fed direct from the battery with a seperate in-line fuse.

https://www.banggood.com/12V-Motorcycle ... mds=search

Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Jayb69 wrote:Anyone got any advice on waterproof 12v socket, decided to join 21st century and get a sat nav. want to wire it to my explorer.
Obviously when not in use they have a cap to keep water out but what about when in use?
Thanks in advance
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 12v socket on the front of the Explorer at Marine Socket anyway? It won't take a standard 12v cigarette lighter plug, you'll need the Marine plug.
Jayb69

Post by Jayb69 »

I'm offshore and havent picked the bike up yet just getting excited and probably ahead of myself, Cheers

Return to “TECHNICAL”