Solar Panel on top box

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mike54

Solar Panel on top box

Post by Mike54 »

Anyone done this to charge small devices? I have a small peli case for which I've made a mount for my S1000. I fancy mounting a small but robust panel on it. I see from ADV rider that a guy's done but it was to trickle charge his bike and his panel is large. I only want to charge a phone and an ipad
V-Rider

Re: Solar Panel on top box

Post by V-Rider »

Mike54 wrote:Anyone done this to charge small devices? I have a small peli case for which I've made a mount for my S1000. I fancy mounting a small but robust panel on it. I see from ADV rider that a guy's done but it was to trickle charge his bike and his panel is large. I only want to charge a phone and an ipad
You could just Google it. :lol:
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Ill be helpfull...check output of panel in watts, boats use them as do i on my camper but a 150w panel takes all day to give anything...
Them car dash panels are crap....and where would you strap the tent lol..
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

V-Rider wrote:
Mike54 wrote:Anyone done this to charge small devices? I have a small peli case for which I've made a mount for my S1000. I fancy mounting a small but robust panel on it. I see from ADV rider that a guy's done but it was to trickle charge his bike and his panel is large. I only want to charge a phone and an ipad
You could just Google it. :lol:

I did, hence my mention of advrider.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Unless you live or travel in an area of high sunshine the output from a small panel is going to be minute.Just a thought but you could use the excess from you onboard genrator to parrallel any excess charge to a second battery for such things like in a camper trailer type system.

There is an Austraialn member on the My-Mc forum that installed panel to his bike trailer but its much larger than any you could fit but only gives around 15-20w.

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

I have fitted a couple of these to camper vans and in my experience the back wiring that joins the solar cells to each other is of vital importance. On cheaper panels any shadows on the panel takes out any cells on the non output side as well. I chose powerfilm panels as they are wired to avoid this and are tough enough to walk on, a video even shows one being tested by firing a shot gun at it and it still worked afterwards. Personally I would wire the panel as a trickle charger to the bike battery and take a output off of the battery. That way you replace any charge you have taken from the battery constantly when parked but retain quick charging of devices. This would not be ideal on a lead acid battery but OK on a gel type.
Powerfilm have some informative youtube videos on the subject.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Yes I did read a while ago about the panel sections being wired in different configurations so that loss of some did not affect all charge output.So I guess that why some are dearer than others.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Have a look at the Jesse Luggage website. Al Jesse lent a bike to San Manicom last year and I'm fairly sure the topbox had a solar panel.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Not being funny , but if you have an alternator that gives out 300w when the engine is running , why would you want a solar panel that gives out a tiny charge, you could just get a USB socket to fit the bike , surely.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

chris with the buddy box has also looked at this will speak to him tomorrow and ask him how he got on.
steve

Return to “TECHNICAL”