Semi-Synthetic oil query

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
macvisual

Semi-Synthetic oil query

Post by macvisual »

Hi all;
Within the next few weeks there's a small bike group of us heading off to ride most of the North Coast 500 route from Fri to Sun, we know we won't get it all in as we've our own route planned and sorted (depending on weather of course), we can top and tail each day...
My k8 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 will probably require an oil change before the trip as it hasn't been changed in about 5k miles or so, I already have a dedicated oil filter so just need advice about where maybe to buy the semi-synthetic oil from please..?
Appreciate any advice/replies. Thank you.
Peter
Central Scotland
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Mike54

Re: Semi-Synthetic oil query

Post by Mike54 »

type the oil you want into google buy it from the cheapest place? how do you normally buy things?
Decco

Post by Decco »

Mike54 wrote:type the oil you want into google buy it from the cheapest place? how do you normally buy things?
Google is your friend in this type of situation, if you've got a halfords trade card or know someone who has this can be a cheap route.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Look for a motorcycle oil that is the correct weight and meets the same or greater api spec as what is reccomended for your machine i.e, if it specs API SJ then API-SL is ok, but API SH is lower spec, pick any oil that meets the spec and is cheap or available, difference between brands are I fear, almost entirely psychological.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Mike54 wrote:type the oil you want into google buy it from the cheapest place? how do you normally buy things?
I don't always agree with you Mike but I thought just replying with "eBay" was too obvious! :)
threepot

Post by threepot »

Go with the spec Suzuki recommend. But some major brands are now formulating oils just for V twins. So worth checking out? Mobil,Silkolene?
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Not exactly the most helpful reply...

I would advise to consult your manual and double check the oil you need - it should be 10w/40 Semi Synthetic. Any of the bike oils will be fine, though I personally use Motul in all of my bikes.

In terms of where to buy, generally you can try a place like M&P:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/motul-5000-4t-10w40-5-litre.html

This oil should be fine for your bike, but they also run an ebay shop - so double check on there as it could be cheaper, or you might find the oil with a filter thrown in, which from the very same seller is absurd, but there we go - it's the world of mail order:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DL-100 ... Sw8HBZN5eE

The point is, shop around, you'll always find cheap oil and filters on ebay. You know you have a reference point of 10w/40 semi synthetic, as long as you buy bike oil (which has all the correct additives for motorcycles), you can't really go wrong. The rest is down to personal brand preference. I've always used Motul 5000 in my previous bikes with no issues and I don't hang about! Now with my KTM it has the more expensive nectar, but if thats what it needs, thats what it'll get!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
felco

Post by felco »

You don't sell oil then Mike :laugh:
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Just shop around for the best deal on the oil you want/need. Sometimes Halfords have a deal on, sometimes Opie oils. The last oil I bought was Castrol Power 1 Racing which I found on Amazon for €30 including delivery.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

V-Rider wrote:
Not exactly the most helpful reply...

I would advise to consult your manual and double check the oil you need - it should be 10w/40 Semi Synthetic. Any of the bike oils will be fine, though I personally use Motul in all of my bikes.

In terms of where to buy, generally you can try a place like M&P:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/motul-5000-4t-10w40-5-litre.html

This oil should be fine for your bike, but they also run an ebay shop - so double check on there as it could be cheaper, or you might find the oil with a filter thrown in, which from the very same seller is absurd, but there we go - it's the world of mail order:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DL-100 ... Sw8HBZN5eE

The point is, shop around, you'll always find cheap oil and filters on ebay. You know you have a reference point of 10w/40 semi synthetic, as long as you buy bike oil (which has all the correct additives for motorcycles), you can't really go wrong. The rest is down to personal brand preference. I've always used Motul 5000 in my previous bikes with no issues and I don't hang about! Now with my KTM it has the more expensive nectar, but if thats what it needs, thats what it'll get!

A useful reply,rather than a terse, curt and condescending reply for some other rider who just might not be as knowing of such things as others, hence his original question?

Again,a certain character of person only will reply in such a manner.,where in my opinion, it obviously speaks volumes of that person and of their low self esteem issues where they get off on such context.....this type of person should just tell the OP to feck off straight away and not be so stupid, rather than fluff it up because that's really what she/he means.....astounding........well done......bravo. (thumbs)

Not every rider knows everything....A Spanish rider stopped here yesterday asking directions. Upon chatting he stated his moto had developed a noise that he wasn't used to. It turned out to be that his air filter wasn't seated properly and there was a hollow resonance. It was his fist bike...his first road trip from Girona and he was looking for the route to Col du Tourmalet.

He didn't know how to access his filter and rather than me tell him to read his manual or find out on the internet whilst turning my back on him, I showed him how to adjust it.......as he looked on learning.

:)
Last edited by WIBO on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “TECHNICAL”