XT660Z

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
allanthompson_uk

XT660Z

Post by allanthompson_uk »

I put up a post here a couple of weeks ago asking about the 660z. The plan was to use it to commute about 20 miles each way with motorway and A roads, got plenty great feedback, so thanks to you all out there.
Circumstances have now changed and my commute will now be 14 miles each way, on purely country roads, so am considering either an "r" or a "z" model.
I found a very tidy z in a dealers about 50 miles from home, had a seat on it and it was ridiculously high. Couldn't believe a 660cc bike could be that tall. On further inspection it has an Ohlins rear shock, is this standard or has this been added?
What effect does lowering kits have on the feel and characteristics of the bike.
cozi70

Re: XT660Z

Post by cozi70 »

Hello. The ohlins rear shock is not standard but a welcome upgrade and maybe slightly longer than the original and raise it further.
My own bike was lowered when I bought it but as I'm a lanky git I raised it back to standard and never noticed any difference.
Couple of times the tyre just touched the undertray when 2 up and no luggage.
allanthompson_uk

I thought the Ohlins was not standard. I suspect if the preload is softened it would drop down a bit when I sat on it as well.
cowling

Post by cowling »

I have some metal mule lowing links that I took of mine to put it back to std, not sure how much it lowers the seat, but mine is on stock suspension, I'd love an ohlins for it but can't justify the cost.a quick Google may find you that info.
Pm me if you need to know the hole pitch etc, regards Neil.
Andysr6

Post by Andysr6 »

Hi, there are various sizes of lowering kits and I would suggest you go with the 25mm. Drop the forks a similar amount.
There will be no negative effects on handling. Only issue can be the sidestand making the bike sit very upright, I shortened mine.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Buy it and I'll swop a stock shock for the ohlins :whistle:
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
allanthompson_uk

Well a quick update if anyone is interested. I bought the bike today and the dealer is going to lower it for me. Had a good look round it and discovered some more. Not only does it have an Ohlins rear shock, it also has brembo brakes front and rear, Renthal bars and brand new chain and sprockets. I also suspect it has uprated front springs. Pick it up next week and cant wait. Are we there yet?
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Cool. Brembo are stock. Fronts are same as ktm exc if you ever need cheaper spares as Yamaha are in cloud cuckoo land for prices.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).

Return to “TECHNICAL”