'Monitor' screen for Garmin GPSmap 62s - anyone know of one?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
WillS

Re: 'Monitor' screen for Garmin GPSmap 62s - anyone know of one?

Post by WillS »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking at the Amazon Fire 7, which seems too good to be true for about £50 - is it?

I still need the Garmin fir recording waypoints as I go - pinpoint accuracy fir the HUMM especially as it's a kind of paper chase where riders have to find tiny aluminium tags that I nail to trees,etc. ...

Question, could I load Basecamp to the Amazon? I really do know nothing about tablets and living as I do in the back of beyond they aren't the subject of every day conversation ... 20 years ago I was a big cheese in a big IT project and got all the latest, now nothing, but TBH I'm happier this way! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
The Amazon Fire is not a full Android system, and you can only load apps from the Amazon store.
I don't think it will load BaseCamp, Not really many Mapping Apps for the Fire.
I have one I use as an ereader as you say for £50 they are well priced, but limited for what you want it to do.
A full Android system would be better. But more £££ :whistle:
Will
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Ram mounts are good and a few of my friends use them. Personally I made a "table" for my tablet using a couple of bits of plastic pipe and a piece of flat plastic as a top with a very technical elastic band holding the tablet. It sits tightly into a centre console cup holder in the Land Rover courtesy of some old inner tube to make a snug fit and hasnt fell out yet.
Your Mac wont run Basecamp unless you put Windows on it which rather defeats the point of a make and it will become a pain like a Windows machine.
I use a Samsung Galaxy tab which cost £50 second hand on ebay. (thumbs)
BokitoJos

Post by BokitoJos »

The Samsung series got a tough one outdoor type. Not the economy. Same looks,shock, dust & splash proof. No bumpers. Its a leisure tablet. Not a crash proof.
Netherlands
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

WillS wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking at the Amazon Fire 7, which seems too good to be true for about £50 - is it?

I still need the Garmin fir recording waypoints as I go - pinpoint accuracy fir the HUMM especially as it's a kind of paper chase where riders have to find tiny aluminium tags that I nail to trees,etc. ...

Question, could I load Basecamp to the Amazon? I really do know nothing about tablets and living as I do in the back of beyond they aren't the subject of every day conversation ... 20 years ago I was a big cheese in a big IT project and got all the latest, now nothing, but TBH I'm happier this way! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
The Amazon Fire is not a full Android system, and you can only load apps from the Amazon store.
I don't think it will load BaseCamp, Not really many Mapping Apps for the Fire.
I have one I use as an ereader as you say for £50 they are well priced, but limited for what you want it to do.
A full Android system would be better. But more £££ :whistle:
Will
As Willie Spray states.........(I too have one)......only really good for me for reading.....I'd look elsewhere.

:)
Will It Buff Out?
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Cheap no frill laptop and aluminium carry case with the foam insert you can customize( under £20 on fleabay) cheaper than ram mount,
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

WillS wrote:The Amazon Fire is not a full Android system, and you can only load apps from the Amazon store.
Off topic I know but you can get the play store loaded as a seperate app on the device to add other content.

As to the origional problem a laptop with GPS as suggested or use an Android device with something like OsmAnd+ or Calimoto for mapping
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I have a samsung A6 android tab with wifi and phone capable cost around £220..its great use with data card and android free mapping ...the spain one is excellent with very good coverage of trails....you can use the mapping with no phone connection too and also use downloaded gpx data as overlays to show route/tracks...
the technology is out there just need what you want....battery lasts 10+ hours...there was a thread on here from Daniel about a rugged tab and wez was inputting some very good info..
https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/21 ... tion-.html
daryl

Post by daryl »

Diesel Pete wrote:Your Mac wont run Basecamp unless you put Windows on it which rather defeats the point of a make and it will become a pain like a Windows machine.
Basecamp in in the Mac App Store, and fully supported (without installing Windows). See: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=4449
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Tramp wrote:I have a samsung A6 android tab with wifi and phone capable cost around £220..its great use with data card and android free mapping ...the spain one is excellent with very good coverage of trails....you can use the mapping with no phone connection too and also use downloaded gpx data as overlays to show route/tracks...

the technology is out there just need what you want....battery lasts 10+ hours...there was a thread on here from Daniel about a rugged tab and wez was inputting some very good info..

21-accessories-/515390-recommend-a-rugg ... tion-.html
Thanks Russ, but I think I've been wandering off my own topic somewhat! What I want to do is see the map I have on my Garmin but on a bigger screen wit better resolution, etc., while I'm actually using it.

I've been going down the line of toking at routes on Basecamp - see below - or whatever but that's not what I was asking about ...

To elaborate a bit, when I'm exploring I spend a lot of time being totally lost as tracks that are 'mapped' on TopoEspaña don't exist on the ground - I'm obviously drib¡ing along one that does exist! - and may bot exist on the printed 1:50 000 scale maps downloaded rom the Spanish cartography institute and printed off - at great expense I might add - in home made tiles on A1 sized sheet of paper.

Sometimes there are trails tantalisingly close on the screen and these are clearly mapping errors from some survey done possibly as log ago as the Civil War or more recently by army units composed of an officer/surveyor and a bunch of guys doubt their military service. A friend of mine was just one such - the latter - and is now a qualified surveyor. Back in the day his jib was to see to it that the officer was well suppled wit food, drink and women down in the village where they were billeted while the squaddies go on with they survey, which mainly consisted of drawing up - actually revising as often as not - maps by guess work while they hunk around in the shade ping for their mother's cooking ...

Since then I guess more 'refining' has been done using satellite imagery and some sort of algorithm meanwhile the forestry guys say' hey, look instead of clearing this old rail let's make a new on over there while we have the bulldozer ...

This of course makes the HISS and HUMM events great gigs but I find myself increasingly, er, lost!
daryl wrote:
Diesel Pete wrote:Your Mac wont run Basecamp unless you put Windows on it which rather defeats the point of a make and it will become a pain like a Windows machine.
Basecamp in in the Mac App Store, and fully supported (without installing Windows). See: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=4449
Thanks Daryl. you beat me to it - in fact although I'm probably wrong I thought that Basecamp was developed for the Mac in the first place, hence it ding so/too much 'automatically' - just the way we Mac nerds like it! :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Basecamp? On my Mac? Really? Sorry chaps I was incorrect..... off to get it now (thumbs)

Return to “TECHNICAL”