Update 2 KTM 690 Engine Problems, anyone fancy a guess? NOW SORTED

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
frenchy3

Re: KTM 690 Engine Problems, anyone fancy a guess? Updated!

Post by frenchy3 »

That is awful. I have to say that the best outcome should be a completely factory fresh engine that nobody has "monkeyed around" with.I suspect you will not get that though.
gooseneck

Re: KTM 690 Engine Problems, anyone fancy a guess?

Post by gooseneck »

This is going from bad to worse....I think I might be after my money back after that bodge...
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

If the dealer is happy to take the bike back I would go that route, no question about that.
Our K100 bikes also have Nikasil bore, you can't ream them or bore them out- period. You can buy different grade pistons to reflect wear but can't adjust the bore.
That's just ruined the bore/piston arrangement completely. If it's been low on oil no knowing what's happened the bearings etc. Big end shells can be replaced but camshafts running in the head bearings can't be replaced, just don't go there.
To be fair too if the dealer is happy to take it back he is going as far as he can and would seem you went to a good enough dealer to buy from. Its a bit like travel insurance, even when they do sort you the premium has still come out of your pocket. I had a similar issue with a car years back and went the replacement route. Proved a wise move.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
gooseneck

Post by gooseneck »

I just don't see why a bike with 1000 miles had to have a new piston, it smacks of a thrashed bike, then badly repaired.....I would at the very least reject the whole motor, god knows what it's suffered..
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

At 1000 miles its possible the ring was broken on assembly or there was inadequate end clearance causing a break.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Decco

Post by Decco »

I appreciate all the feedback guys.
It was the opinion of KTM that the ring was probably broken on installation from new as for the new piston, I'm not sure as The dealer said it was fine. although there is a critical tolerance in the piston ring ring groove where the ring sits this may have been out of tolerance but thats just guess work as I really dont know yet.
I'm asking KTM UK for a full blow by blow explaination, but will update.
Bit of further information, The dealer I bough the bike from has been brilliant throughout this even though I didn't send the bike back to him for repair the first time.
This was due to him letting the bike out of the dealership with low oil in the first place, I wasnt filled with confidence, although I realise he relies on his staff for this.
The dealer fixing the bike (workshop technician) told me that the piston was spot on and the bore was absolutley fine, no marks at all. He told me he had ordered new rings and would get them fitted. This seemed to be taking ages 2 weeks.
Now the dealer I bought bike from told me KTM specify a 5 day turn around on warranty work and parts are sent 24 hours.
Clearly I was being given the run around
I gave him a call, told him what was going on regarding the time I was without a bike and agreed that I could reject the bike but not whilst it was in bits at another dealer.
I started throwing my teddy out of the cot via email and he forwarded them on them KTM.
I went to the repairing dealer in person and he told me sorry he was waiting for a couple of seals to arrive, then a long blank vacant stare.
More teddies launched via email.
The KTM UK service manager got involved and took ownership of getting parts etc I was informed the bike had been rebuilt and engine had been running vie email.
Great I thought, I'll give them a bell and see when I can pick it up this is 3 weeks now.
So I called and the workshop guy fixing the bike tells me all is not good, bike is down on power and they were in the process of taking the top off again to see whats wrong, this was in the morning, I told him to get it all bolted back together as I was Pi$$ed off and wanted it sent back to the other dealer I bought it from, he said they would carry on investigating and get back to me by close of play that day I agreed.
Emailed the other dealer and seconds later he's on the case to KTM UK, apparently the bike is down on power and because there was nothing wrong with the top end they had authorised the repairing dealer to strip the engine right down to component parts.
they tell me they thought It may have gone below 300ml oil in engine and stopped picking up oil. hence the bottom end inspection.
Now this is where the bullshit really starts as the oil pressure light had never come on, so very much doubt it dropped below 300ml, the bike was running perfect prior to entering the dealers and during the 60 miles they put on the bike, apart from using oil obviously. The repairing dealer has obviously buggered up somewhere.
I sent a nice email to KTM via the dealer I bought from, explaining the foul stench in my nose they even got a copy of my cv (Engineer for 20 years with some of the biggest engine manufactures in the world)If they wanted to bullshit me they had better be a bit cleverer about it.
I wanted the bike taken back to the dealer I bought it from and sorting there. I also wanted access to the fixing dealers workshop to inspect the engine. this request went ignored.
I had a brand new duke 690 courtesy bike dropped off at my door from the dealers I bought the bike from and they picked up the enduro and took it back to their workshop.
Thats where we are up to (31 days later), they have confirmed that piston , cylinder and rings are all trashed. So it's quite clear that I was being told porkies by the first dealer trying to fix it. From the sounds of it , he's bodged the first fix then was trying to cover it up. Thats what im starting to think.
Anyway I'll keep you updated if your interested. I'm quite interested to see what all parties have to say when we get to the end of this.
I'm letting all this play out for now.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I don't understand for the life of me why you haven't rejected the bike, you are able to do so.
Decco

Post by Decco »

Mike54 wrote:I don't understand for the life of me why you haven't rejected the bike, you are able to do so.
Good point, well presented!

My right to reject this bike within the first 30 days will expire 3 weeks after they have returned the bike to me. The 30 day right to reject clock stops as soon as you elect for a repair and starts again on your taking receipt of the product so its not urgent, I want to see how this plays out.

Also, by my calculations with all the nice bits on this bike and its been well spent on, its going to cost about 1.5k to 2k to get any replacement up to the same spec, plus I have all the original parts which is a bonus that wasn't part of the sale agreement. I also need to consider how much KTM will compensate me as they have already indicated they will, probably power parts vouchers though! not that the bike needs them.

So it all boils down to I'm willing to wait and see if they will extend the warranty on engine, and what will I get compensation wise? Bike is actually like new, and I mean not a blemish!

I've spent my whole working life working on engines of various types and sizes, I understand that they do break and manufacturing faults occur, I've never scrapped an engine because of a partial seizure, it wouldnt make finacial sense to and KTM will be thinking the same. As much as I would like a brand new engine in it, I dont think its going to happen but I will be requesting it.

If I keep the bike and it goes wrong a few years down the line, then I might have to spanner away and fix it, but I've not decided yet, still a few days of emailing and shit storming to do, I'll take tomorrow off from emailing as it's Sunday, even dealers and KTM need some rest.
tea007

Post by tea007 »

Was it them Useless C***S at AMS by any chance in Tewkesbury
sell you a bike then treat you like S..t
Decco

Post by Decco »

tea007 wrote:Was it them Useless C***S at AMS by any chance in Tewkesbury
sell you a bike then treat you like S..t
No fella not them!

Guess you've had some poor service then ?

Return to “TECHNICAL”