GPS QUESTION, WHAT TO BUY

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Whippet

GPS QUESTION, WHAT TO BUY

Post by Whippet »

Advice please, I need to buy a gps bundle to hard wire into my bike, I need it specifically to navigate on off road routes.
I've no experience of gps specific units , but have used a Navigator 4 significantly over the last few years.
I've been advised that I will be unable to put off road files onto the navigator as it will not have the detail needed.
Basically what will I need to spend? , what would people recommend from experience and would I need to spend £500+ for something like a Montana or would something cheaper do the job.
Thanks
Grahamkevinbutler

Re: GPS QUESTION, WHAT TO BUY

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

Montana, had it three years, best unit have had for both road and off, still use my nav 4 as I sometimes travel with two units on, when touring
WillS

Post by WillS »

Another vote for the Garmin Montana (thumbs) , great bit of kit with so many great features, and really easy to use, after a bit of practice. I use it for Off-road, on road, walking, mountain biking and also in the car.
Easy to download maps and gpx files, share wireless gpx files.
Does everything you need, and a range of mounts including powered 12v.
oldoak

Post by oldoak »

I've used a garmin 340 (about £200) for user defined off road trails. Its easy enough to fit. I would say you have to really throw yourself into the user experience and get to know how any GPS you have works especially if you are going to go off road. Garmin stuff is good because you can use other peoples maps not just their own.

I did quite a few of Chris Scotts routes in Morocco with it as well as a few of my own. It takes some time to get used to the software (Basecamp)involved too. I found it to be pretty clunky and not all that fantastic visually. However, once you know what you are doing it works and gets the job done.

If I were on it more often, I'd probably be much better at it!

cheers
scutty

Post by scutty »

Montana every day
Brads

Post by Brads »

Montana.

And buy the Touratech wired mount. Expensive but worth the cash and nothing comes close quality wise.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive had a few units ..im not particulary good with sat navs ..i know the basics

the montanna is the easiest of all to operate even i can work it

very good indeed
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Have to say, If you want decent on and off road routing the the Montana is the one, It has taken me a year to click with it, after being used to my old 60csx.

Basecamp (the program you use to organise and create tracks/routes)is cumbersome IMO, not at all intuitive as Mapsource was, It's a bit of a learning curve.

The Unit itself is robust ,waterproof (Real waterproof as in Strata Florida on the third day of it pissing down) and reliable.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

WillS wrote:Another vote for the Garmin Montana (thumbs) , great bit of kit with so many great features, and really easy to use, after a bit of practice. I use it for Off-road, on road, walking, mountain biking and also in the car.
Easy to download maps and gpx files, share wireless gpx files.
Does everything you need, and a range of mounts including powered 12v.

What Willie Spray says.... I remember Willie started with a smaller unit and upgraded to the Montana after seeking advice.

As he mentions you can even set it for pedestrian mode, which I find handy when
on foot around strange towns at night.

It can, like others be used as a pocket travel guide to dial in cafes etc.Having said that to do so it can also operate on three AA batteries if the main charge goes off. The screen works well in direct sunlight and there's a place for a lanyard.

As an aside, if you wish you can have a peep here to see how it works for me as to how I have mine set up; other riders have different needs...all this to say you can dial it in.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... 0&start=40

You can also connect direct to the likes of wikiloc to upload trails straight into the unit, (If you're unfamiliar with this site you can download lots of free trails.....for me I ride lots in the Aragon and Navarre region of Spain which is closest to me )

You don't have to remove the SD card and do it that way.

As for basecamp, for me, I just use that to store old routes along with wikiloc. I work out routes on the Route Planner in the actual GPS.

I hope you get sorted

:)
Will It Buff Out?
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I have an old Garmin Map60 CSX,brilliant piece of kit,it is a shame they dont sell them any more but you can get a decent secondhand bundle. I use mine in the car,motorcycle(on and off road) mountain bike and walking. You can plan your routes on the internet using a number of different mapping sites then transfer them as a GPX route. When and if my bulletproof unit fails(it will probably outlast me) i will buy a Garmin Montana. :) :) :)

Return to “TECHNICAL”