GPS QUESTION, WHAT TO BUY

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Andi_Archer

Re: GPS QUESTION, WHAT TO BUY

Post by Andi_Archer »

You might look at the HOMTOM HT20 4.7" Waterproof Smartphone on ebay I picked one up for £80 recently
scoobydidler

GPS QUESTION, WHAT TO BUY

Post by scoobydidler »

I made a decision to run a waterproof android phone with navigation through an app (viewranger in my case) sony xz based on cost, ie, im going to have the phone anyway and i can't afford £xxx for a dedicated gps device.
Im rubbish with a pc so don't have one and i can plot routes no problem using the phone (big screen)
Ive had zero problems with it, it doesn't freeze/buffer while navigating , i run it through my sena headset while listening to music.
All my riding pals use Montanas, I'm sure theyre a better dedicated gps device than my setup but it works for me. Orses for courses.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Morseman wrote:I've started to use my mobile phone for GPS as well. Don't know what happens with the BT connection to other riders yet, so will see.

Turn by turn guidance seems OK (with a temp bike I couldn't really fit any permanent brackets or cables) and having the phone in an inside pocket seemed less of an issue than with the Zumo, which seemed to switch to other modes if it was touched by the inside of my jacket, or something in the panniers.

If I can find an app that allows me to upload waypoints and routes, I might abandon the dedicated GPS, but only if it doesn't disconnect other BT connections on the Sena...
Eh? I'm confused, how do you navigate using a phone in your pocket?
....................Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
skipper

Post by skipper »

by bluetooth of course. until i got some glasses i could not see the satnav so listening to directions was the only way to get around.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The phone will send verbal directions to a bluetooth enabled helmet intercom.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “TECHNICAL”