Recommend me a battery

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Fishandchips

Recommend me a battery

Post by Fishandchips »

Hi Guys,

Battery on my Xcountry keeps letting me down but theres so much choice, what type?, what brand?

There seems to be Lithium, Lead, Gel and probably more.

I use the bike for short trips mostly (1 to 2 miles) with a run out once a week, not much chance to charge up so that's probably part of the problem. (recently fitted heated grips may have killed it completely? they are on a relay though!).

Cheers for any help.

Garry

P.S. YTZ10s seems to be the battery (does this mean the size like AA and AAA? 150mm x 87mm x 93mm)
Jak*

Re: Recommend me a battery

Post by Jak* »

I think Motorworks do a Hawker odyssey battery that fits. If they do and you intend keeping the bike that is where my money would go. the one that is on my outfit has lasted over ten years with no maintenance at all.
Cheers Jak
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

yep odysey or mottobatt would be my choice,the later are smaller with higher cranking amps.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Motobatt seem to be good batteries but I hate the connectors as they are bolted on and often come loose, I've seen at least 2 bikes stopped because of this.
Yuasa would be my choice.

Steve
threepot

Post by threepot »

In my experience,Yuasa,and Varta have proved the best. I was told by a retailer that they get more Motobatts's returned than any other make.

I've been tempted to try Lithium due to the higher cold cranking amps. But they need 'waking up',by turning lights on etc,before they can discharge their full power? Worth reading up on them before deciding?
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Standard lead-acid..Yuasa
High energy density lead acid... Varley red top
Lithium, I don't know, I have 2 of different makes i cant remember and no problems yet but early days

Motobatts are in my experience a bit hit and miss, you might get a bad un and the good uns are nothing special (Ive had 3 and one was bad and returned)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Just go for a standard Yuasa battery, my OEM one lasted 9 years and never let me down once. They are also standard on my 2013 Tiger Sport that will be 4 years old this year and it's no problem, and lots of people have replaced with Lithium, Gel, etc, from the likes of MotoBatt, and had problems with it only lasting a year.

The original are still the best.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Motobatt wouldn't be my choice.
In my opinion they have solved a problem that didn't exist with their screw on terminals.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

OnHellas wrote:Motobatt wouldn't be my choice.
In my opinion they have solved a problem that didn't exist with their screw on terminals.
The same applies to Lead Acid. It works. Unless you really need the space or the weight savings, then listen to the philosophy of "ain't broke, don't fix it"
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Fishandchips

Post by Fishandchips »

Cheers for the input.

I'll have a go with the standard yuasa as there where no negative comments about that battery.

Garry

Return to “TECHNICAL”