Tubeless kits

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mac 60

Tubeless kits

Post by Mac 60 »

I was thinking about converting my F800 GSA to tubless using this Outex system. Has anyone here experience of using it.
crofty

Re: Tubeless kits

Post by crofty »

IMG_20170314_145958978_2017-04-12.jpg
IMG_20170314_145958978_2017-04-12.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 2146 times

Don't know about Outex personally but Chris Scott's website has info. I have been using Bart for the last month with no pressure loss
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I've fitted the Tubeliss system, with the inflatable red inner core to three Enduro bikes. I'm a convert.
This Outex system looks simple and basic, easy to install.
The Tubeliss system allows you to run super low PSI because it's got a rim lock and the inner core grips the tyre.
It also has the advantage of eliminating the tube which is a major plus for off road riding.
This Outex system doesn't allow you to fit a rim lock and doesn't grip the tyre, so I guess you haven't got much flexibility with PSI if you want to go on gnarly trails.
Other than that, if it does seal the rim effectively it looks a good option for bikes like the GS800, which spend most of their life on tarmac anyway.
I'm very interested.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

SteveW wrote:I've fitted the Tubeliss system, with the inflatable red inner core to three Enduro bikes. I'm a convert.
This Outex system looks simple and basic, easy to install.
The Tubeliss system allows you to run super low PSI because it's got a rim lock and the inner core grips the tyre.
It also has the advantage of eliminating the tube which is a major plus for off road riding.
This Outex system doesn't allow you to fit a rim lock and doesn't grip the tyre, so I guess you haven't got much flexibility with PSI if you want to go on gnarly trails.
Other than that, if it does seal the rim effectively it looks a good option for bikes like the GS800, which spend most of their life on tarmac anyway.
I'm very interested.
+1 interested
bowber

Post by bowber »

I think the Americans have been using it on their KTM Adventures for years, along with other kits using 3M tapes etc.
Some even just make their own kits up using various sealants with tape over the top.

Steve
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Ok ive ordered this kit for my F800 GSA. It was dispatched within hours but since its coming from Japan i expect a few weeks till delivery. I will post again with an overview of the kit when it arrives and after ive fitted it. Fingers crossed.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

I experimented with tubless while in Turkey and found that it's nice to ride on (lighter than thick tubes) it was a total pain in the ass. It depends on where you ride, if that is off road and there is a chance of getting a slit/slit in the tyre then you'd better have a spare tube on board. They say you can ride um flat but I tried and destroyed the tyre and the system. I ran secondhand tyres (ex punters tyres) and had a puncture every day for a week, and had there been tubes in the tyres they would have escaped the puncture. The second week I use new tyres and got only one puncture, but it was in the wall of the tyre so could not be plugged. I also used Tube less rims and they were even worse for an off road type bike. So I am sticking with tubes and carrying a spare...........and patches.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

captinktm wrote:I experimented with tubless while in Turkey and found that it's nice to ride on (lighter than thick tubes) it was a total pain in the ass. It depends on where you ride, if that is off road and there is a chance of getting a slit/slit in the tyre then you'd better have a spare tube on board. They say you can ride um flat but I tried and destroyed the tyre and the system. I ran secondhand tyres (ex punters tyres) and had a puncture every day for a week, and had there been tubes in the tyres they would have escaped the puncture. The second week I use new tyres and got only one puncture, but it was in the wall of the tyre so could not be plugged. I also used Tube less rims and they were even worse for an off road type bike. So I am sticking with tubes and carrying a spare...........and patches.
Yea I see your point but as there is no green lanes in N Ireland and the nearest I get to off roading is the single track roads of the Highlands and Islands of Scotland then carrying tubes, tyre levers and all the tools to go with a tube patch/change seem pointless if I can get away without it.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Ok my Outex kit for my GSA800 arrived yesterday. On opening the kit was well put together with comprehensive instructions that i found a bit off putting. It seemed one mistake and it would be a dead loss. Anyway after paying postie £20.00 import tax :sick: i thought well its die dog or shit a licence time. The thought of taking a grinder to the inside of my rims filled me with dread but its turs out all was need was a wee touch up of a few spurs on the spoke nipples. Jumped right in with the front wheel last night. (Yea iam an impatient sort) and was pleased to find the bedding in pressure of 2.5 bar was still there come the morning. Started the rear wheel at 0800 hrs and at 1800 it is still holding 2.5 bar. Fingers crossed for tomorrow as i will refit the wheels and have a test ride.
phonepics074.jpg
phonepics074.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
phonepics077.jpg
phonepics077.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
phonepics078.jpg
phonepics078.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
phonepics078.jpg
phonepics076.jpg
phonepics076.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
phonepics078.jpg
Attachments
phonepics076.jpg
phonepics076.jpg
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

I apologise for the double pics. Not sure what happened there. Anyway the green tape is a double sided gel like compound and then the white tape is a strong thicker plastic which acts as a protective barrier. I first washed the rims after grinding with water and detergent then dried and heated it with a hairdryer then used 3M degreaser to ensure good adhesion. The spoke nipples are covered by little circular stickers before the green tape is laid. Not as difficult as i first thought.

Return to “TECHNICAL”