Is there such a thing as a perfect adventure tyre

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ChasF

Re: Is there such a thing as a perfect adventure tyre

Post by ChasF »

For what it's worth most of the pseudo knobbly road tyres such as the TKC80 work OK off tarmac when they are brand new but as with knobblies (AC10, Metzeler six days etc.) they wear quickly when used on tarmac and once the blocks have rounded off their performance off tarmac becomes very poor.

I've found the the best compromise i.e. Good road grip, good road mileage and acceptable off tarmac performance is the MT21 front and E 09 rear. There may well be other good combos.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

robson wrote:
-Ralph- wrote: I never had any complaints about performance of the TKC80, either, except in mud where all these tyres are going to struggle, but I just wish the rears would last longer than 2500/3000 miles.
oh please, tkc80 are no better then road tyres, plus well over priced. Horrible on any grass, wet, soft or muddy surface.
Did two Portugal trips with them took me everywhere I asked them to go. I didn't say they were a good tyre, I said I had no complaints. Maybe you get brown trousers easier than me when things slide around a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mad Cow wrote:To be honest I find most people who complain about any tyre being "dodgy in the wet" really mean "I don't have confidence in the rain" ;)
Bang on, Bridgestone BT020 the only tyre I've ever fitted where I had cause for complaint in the wet. They did slip and slide.

Best I've ever had PR3 and PR4, you can just forget it's raining and carry on as normal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

If you want to poo yourself properly, ride a set of freshly fitted TKC80s, 20 miles on country roads with 90 mph gusts and a downpour so extreme the road was washing out in most places. I found their day to day handling excellent after that experience :laugh:

You're going to kill anything with any off road bias on the tarmac, especially at reasonable speeds. If the bitumen doesn't destroy it, it likely wouldn't be any good on the trail.

Always going to be a compromise somewhere
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
bowber

Post by bowber »

If you want to poo yourself just fit a mitas 09 front, it's shite. Constantly sliding a lot, so much so I nearly didn't get round one corner.
herman

Post by herman »

I did like my E07s on the S10 and xtr but found they liked to white line a bit when worn but not enough to put me off them. I am trying Karoos now due to availability and they are very good on tarmac so far but not got them dirty yet. ( I will)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

I am running Mitas E09 Dakars at the moment but will replace them with the std Mitas E09 as the Dakar is too stiff. It's not just the taking on and off which I have done on the trail, but the fact that you can run them with 15 psi in the rear on the road with no problems. But this means off road they need to be more or less at 5 psi. Then if your riding hard with good grip it will move on the rim and rip the valve off!! I road for 5 km with the rear tyre flat and in the end it was the noise that stopped me, and still it was on the rim.
once they get down on the tread I use a HGV tyre cutter to freshen them up.
Sideleaner

Post by Sideleaner »

Anyone tried Bridgestone TW302 and 301 combo on a mid class bike like 450 to 650 cc ? I am going to Spain in June, so all tracks will be dry and i am looking for something that will last longer on the roads (returning from an offroad section) Last year I was on ED03/04 Gritty's but these were gone after less than 1000 km
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

I don't suppose there is, however I like my current Anakee 2 tyres, looking to change soon and was thinking of Conti trail attack 2 but never used these before, then again better stick with what gives confidence (for me that is) :)
spasm

Post by spasm »

you need 2 bikes to find the perfect tyres, one for trailing and one for roading/touring. theres no tyre that will do it all, ive been in this pickle for years lol. all the best pete
i only need one wheel .......... the rear

Return to “TECHNICAL”