Spruce up spoked wheels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
djskinner

Spruce up spoked wheels

Post by djskinner »

I've acquired some GS spoked wheels with the plan of putting some 50/50 tyres on them. The idea being I can switch to these wheels when doing more trails than tarmac.

I'm just wondering what, if anything I might do to refurb them before I put them on. Not sure how but someone has managed to catch a fair few kerbs with them. They have a few scuffs and I was also wondering if powder coating is an option? On the other hand I'm not sure if there's any point. They're for function not aesthetics after all.

Does anyone else who tried this with their GS have any advice? By the looks of things I need some longer bolts for the rear and I'm guessing buying replacement tyre sensors is optional?

Cheers

Dan
djskinner

Re: Spruce up spoked wheels

Post by djskinner »

So I got some really helpful advice from Eddie at Hagon Wheels, who were recommended by a Horizons Unlimited article on maintaining these wheels. For the standard non-anodized wheels I should be able to get them ground and polished by any willing car alloy wheel repairer.

However, after discovering two loose spokes I now have bigger problems. I'm concerned these wheels aren't true. If they're not sounds a costly job to get them rebuilt and I'll have made a big mistake in buying them.

Does anyone know someone in the Yorkshire area who I could take these wheels to and check if they are sound? Or should I just stick them on the bike and see for myself?
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

hi dan, iam doing the same thing as i just bought a brand new set of alloy wheels off ebay with roads tyres and i have the same spokes as the pic,s on my gs, but would like to powder coat the rims black, not to sure it would be to much work as these are a bugger to respoke i have heard

steve
Cone

Post by Cone »

Dont bother, if you get a puncture and need to repair them youll kill any finish you lovingly put on changing the tube in the field!

just put knobblies on and be happy, you likely scratch you bike a few times anyway! :P

The knobblies should be covered in mud most the year as well!
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

Yeah, I'm leaning toward that line of thinking to be fair Cone. I've got a nice shiny pair of cast wheels to be clean when on tarmac.

So slightly bashed and mucky wheels will be fine but loose spokes and a potentially wobbly wheel is a little more concerning!
Cone

Post by Cone »

I didnt realise your spokes were loose, id get them sorted! :blink:
Balou

Post by Balou »

I've used Paul Jackson at outlane Huddersfield to rebuild my Z1 wheels top job and a decent price
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

I used to spruce up the spokes on my Raleigh Chipper with the tops off of the bread wrappers, coupled with a lollipop stick to click along in the spokes it was the dogs danglies...
Sorry if that's no help whatsoever.
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

Why don't you just nip up the 2 loose spokes then do a full test in a sequence​, there will be a how to video on youtube
mjojom

Post by mjojom »

Cone wrote:Dont bother, if you get a puncture and need to repair them youll kill any finish you lovingly put on changing the tube in the field!

just put knobblies on and be happy, you likely scratch you bike a few times anyway! :P

The knobblies should be covered in mud most the year as well!
these are meant to be tubeless, hence spokes are on outer part of the rims. also, spokes need maintenance retigting, rarely but they do

Return to “TECHNICAL”