Spruce up spoked wheels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
trickytree

Re: Spruce up spoked wheels

Post by trickytree »

I've just fitted GS wheels to my 1150 Rockster and the front has a flat spot on it....not measured it but would guess it's a good 2-3mm and it runs fine....and that's on the road with Tourances.
You've paid for it now, just chuck a tyre on it and try it, sometimes it's easy to get to picky about stuff.
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

You've paid for it now, just chuck a tyre on it and try it, sometimes it's easy to get to picky about stuff.
I took your advice and stuck them on. They ride fine or at least I can't feel any wobbles etc coming through the bars.

Cheers

Now to get some 50/50 tyres on. Karoo 3 or Anakee Wild.. :S
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

Since fitting the wheels I check and tighten the spokes after every off road session. This morning I had 7 loose spokes across both wheels after the previous day's ride. Most are tight again but I seem to be getting into the realm of nipping up some only to cause others to become off tension. One spoke is completely loose and will not tighten. I haven't checked after today's much more easy going ride but it feels like more and more spokes need tightening as time goes on.

Generally with wire wheels when does one know it's time to rebuild them? Is the advice different for the BMW tubeless type?

Can rebuilt wheels be as good or better than new?

A while back I got a quote from Hagon Shocks for the rebuild and I'd have to be very lucky to pick up a new pair off ebay for cheaper (assuming the rims are not bent). Even then I could end up with another set off ebay which are not true or have loose spokes.
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

I would think you have adjusted enough spokes to make the wheel run out . you should not have to check them after every ride . Is it they are fucked or you are messing about to much ? get someone who knows what they are doing to sort them and leave them alone ;)
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

I've only ever touched the ones that have no tone whatsoever i.e. are completely loose/rattling. I've been checking them after every ride because it says to do that in the BMW manual and I've nearly always found a completely loose spoke every time I've checked. So yeah, they might be fucked!
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

After checking again I now have two spokes on the front that are completely loose. I'm unable to tighten them with the tools I have. They're just spinning around even when trying to grip them with pliers. Perhaps some mole grips would give me good enough grip on the spoke to stop them spinning but I don't have any on me.

Clearly they need some professional attention. The immediate question now is should I be limping home on the tarmac or will it be OK to take it steady on the trails providing I check the wheels thoroughly every day so ensure there is no further degradation?
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

just ride on the trails and stop over thinking the spoke problem . check every other day and if its the same just keep going . every time you adjust one you slacken another . you are chasing the problem around the rim .

Return to “TECHNICAL”