Chinese Tourances

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
fraserdog
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 8:00 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Chinese Tourances

Post by fraserdog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

I have just bought a pair of Tourances (block pattern)for my XT1200 from an online retailer (£145 a pair delivered),they arrived today and i was checking them over and i noticed on the sidewall "MADE IN CHINA",i've got nothing against Chinese tyres as such but i was surprised to see a quintessential German tyre produced in China,not sure how they will stack up against the German Tourances,time will tell i suppose.

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Treadtrader
Moderator
Posts: 4363
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Chinese Tourances

Post by Treadtrader » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Metzeler is part of Pirelli, they have a huge manufacturing plant in China.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Tink
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Has thanked: 486 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Re: Chinese Tourances

Post by Tink » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Most things in the world are made in China, think folk may be suprised :whistle:

User avatar
Bojer
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:59 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Chinese Tourances

Post by Bojer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Pirelli is Chinese owned apparently ..........
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/03/23/i ... 7-billion/

jackdaw
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:38 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Chinese Tourances

Post by jackdaw » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 pm

My current front tyre is a Chinese Tourance. I've had several sets before this, but all German manufacture. This current tyre is now on an advisory on MOT having done fewer miles than the previous sets.

johnnyboxer
Posts: 7157
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Chinese Tourances

Post by johnnyboxer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:14 am

jackdaw wrote:My current front tyre is a Chinese Tourance. I've had several sets before this, but all German manufacture. This current tyre is now on an advisory on MOT having done fewer miles than the previous sets.
Aye, I have the Chinese Tourances

Grip is very good, but they only last 2/3rd's of the miles of the German originals

Now swapped to Conti TA2
We buy things we don't need



With money we don't have



To impress people we don't even like

geoham
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Belfast
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Chinese Tourances

Post by geoham » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 am

johnnyboxer wrote:
jackdaw wrote:My current front tyre is a Chinese Tourance. I've had several sets before this, but all German manufacture. This current tyre is now on an advisory on MOT having done fewer miles than the previous sets.
Aye, I have the Chinese Tourances

Grip is very good, but they only last 2/3rd's of the miles of the German originals

Now swapped to Conti TA2
How do you rate the Conti TA2's on the GS Johnny?

I have alway ran Tourance on the GS found them a great all round tyre. Just worried about not getting the mileage out of Tourance next time round if I can only get the Chinese ones!

George

bigfoot
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Chinese Tourances

Post by bigfoot » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi

Haven't run TA2 on 3 bikes (currently a v Strom 1000) I've been impressed with them over the standard fitments.

Good wear front and back, neutral handling and the best of that style of tyre I've found in the wet

Hope that helpd

johnnyboxer
Posts: 7157
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: Chinese Tourances

Post by johnnyboxer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:48 pm

geoham wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
jackdaw wrote:My current front tyre is a Chinese Tourance. I've had several sets before this, but all German manufacture. This current tyre is now on an advisory on MOT having done fewer miles than the previous sets.
Aye, I have the Chinese Tourances

Grip is very good, but they only last 2/3rd's of the miles of the German originals

Now swapped to Conti TA2
How do you rate the Conti TA2's on the GS Johnny?

I have alway ran Tourance on the GS found them a great all round tyre. Just worried about not getting the mileage out of Tourance next time round if I can only get the Chinese ones!

George
Fantastic George, better than Tourances (which I have used for 12 years)

Wet weather - they are better than Metz
We buy things we don't need



With money we don't have



To impress people we don't even like

geoham
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Belfast
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Chinese Tourances

Post by geoham » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:20 pm

johnnyboxer wrote:
geoham wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
jackdaw wrote:My current front tyre is a Chinese Tourance. I've had several sets before this, but all German manufacture. This current tyre is now on an advisory on MOT having done fewer miles than the previous sets.
Aye, I have the Chinese Tourances

Grip is very good, but they only last 2/3rd's of the miles of the German originals

Now swapped to Conti TA2
How do you rate the Conti TA2's on the GS Johnny?

I have alway ran Tourance on the GS found them a great all round tyre. Just worried about not getting the mileage out of Tourance next time round if I can only get the Chinese ones!

George
Fantastic George, better than Tourances (which I have used for 12 years)

Wet weather - they are better than Metz
Thanks for that Johnny. I will probably give them a try next time as I have thought about the Conti's before (thumbs)

Post Reply

Return to “TECHNICAL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests