Tyres for Transalp 650 - Mostly Road

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
thebiggestjolly

Tyres for Transalp 650 - Mostly Road

Post by thebiggestjolly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi all,

Just got my Transalp, and been going over it looking at what needs done. Rear tyre is a little light on tread so will look at replacing soon.

First - both currently at Metzeler Tourance, the front looks relatively new. I was contemplating getting something a bit more road biased as the majority of my riding is road. If it do, is it worth changing both front and rear together?

If I don't stick with the Metzelers, what would people recommend.

Most of my riding is commuting, so road, maybe the occasional dirt track but nothing trail or offroad. I'm planning a trip this summer with camping, so maybe a little then, but my mate who I'm travelling with will be on a bike much less suited to offroad so again, I doubt we'll be attempting anything wild.

Been looking at Michelin Anakee 3, Continental ContiTrailAttack 2, Pirelli Scorpion Trail?

Or should I just stick a new rear Metzeler on and save some money just now?

Cheers
Jolly

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
ledwardio

Re: Tyres for Transalp 650 - Mostly Road

Post by ledwardio » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Tyre opinions are quite subjective, someone will love the Tourance then someone will hate them, someone will only get 1,000 miles out of a tyre then someone will get 8,000.

I can't speak for the Transalp as I've not had one, and the only tyres on your list I have experience off is the TrailAttack 2s as they are OEM on my KTM - they've been fine for me and have lasted well (8,500 road miles, though I'm not sure how - I haven't been gentle) but I intend to put Pilot Road 4 Trails on soon.

I reckon save some cash and stick a new rear Tourance in. Through the life of those tyres you'll be able to decide whether you like them or want to try something different next time.

exrm193

Post by exrm193 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Mitas E-07

Cheap, good wearing.....recommended!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:07 pm

Tyres are like women we all like.sometging different...on my old alp.i used tourance then heindau k60 as they lasted longer and gripped for me.the same and capable of a.gravel dirt traxk easily aka farm.road ...then went all knobbly...i now use mitas e07 as road tyres ...tourance arent anything more than road tyres...when you fit new tyres clean the wheel rim and use gaffer tape as rim protector ...

Have you a picture of the new beast...lol

RandG

Post by RandG » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:36 pm

I've had heindau k60 and mitas on my tenere since I've owned it a couple years back, and yet to see more than 4000 miles out of any of these rear tyres, some say they've had 12000 miles out of them :blink:

big al

Post by big al » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Jolly (thumbs) . If it were me I'd go for thr Metzeler Tourance , good grip in the wet , and last forever.
I normally get 12/13 thou out of front, and 11/12 thou out of rear.
Al

boatman

Post by boatman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:11 pm

big al wrote:Hi Jolly (thumbs) . If it were me I'd go for thr Metzeler Tourance , good grip in the wet , and last forever.
Al
Having had 3 650 Alps I would agree with big Al ,good value for £ ,stable ,with no vices , I have used loads of sets of these on various machines over the years .
Good grip / mileage balance .

thebiggestjolly

Post by thebiggestjolly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:44 pm

Tramp wrote: Have you a picture of the new beast...lol
Not yet, once I get it looking right! (thumbs)

thebiggestjolly

Post by thebiggestjolly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:46 pm

boatman wrote:
big al wrote:Hi Jolly (thumbs) . If it were me I'd go for thr Metzeler Tourance , good grip in the wet , and last forever.
Al
Having had 3 650 Alps I would agree with big Al ,good value for £ ,stable ,with no vices , I have used loads of sets of these on various machines over the years .
Good grip / mileage balance .
Cheers everyone, think I'll get a fresh Tourance rear, and see how they go, but that's a couple good recommendations. Cheers.

thebiggestjolly

Post by thebiggestjolly » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:28 am

Tramp wrote:Tyres are like women we all like.sometging different...on my old alp.i used tourance then heindau k60 as they lasted longer and gripped for me.the same and capable of a.gravel dirt traxk easily aka farm.road ...then went all knobbly...i now use mitas e07 as road tyres ...tourance arent anything more than road tyres...when you fit new tyres clean the wheel rim and use gaffer tape as rim protector ...

Have you a picture of the new beast...lol

As promised! XL 650 V4 with Heavy Duties panniers, givi outback box, custom seat, Mra touring screen with x-creen spoiler, givi crash bars, heated grips, and nicer shaped mirrors. Not all new additions by me, some were already on the bike. Just fitted a tutoro oiler as well. New metzeler tourance on rear and a sizeable service from Honda, all ready for first big trip (for me), London to Glasgow tomorrow, onwards to Aberdeen after. All going well, big European trip in the summer.

Return to “TECHNICAL”